× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNA1100 can't connect to my new camera because it won't accept 5-character password

JJMartin
Aspirant

WNA1100 can't connect to my new camera because it won't accept 5-character password

I just bought a little camera that has its own wifi network. I was able to connect my iPhone to it ok. I want to connect my Win10 PC to it, but the password for the camera (hard-coded into it) is a 5-digit number. When I enter it into the Netgear Genie it does not allow me to click Next. Hmmm -- I just tried making the password 8 numbers. This allowed me to click Next; of course, it would not connect to the camera 's network as the password was wrong. Is there any way I can tell Network Genie that a 5-character password is acceptable?

Model: WNA1100|Wireless Adapter|EOL
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JJMartin
Aspirant

Re: WNA1100 can't connect to my new camera because it won't accept 5-character password

I unplugged my cable modem from my PC. Then Windows Defender asked if I wanted SYSM to be able to connect to public networks. I said yes. Now SYSM thinks it is connected to a LAN instead of a WAN and it connected to the camera using the 5-digit password. I plugged the modem cable back in and then Firefox was on the internet ok and SYSM was displaying the camera ok.  But when I terminated SYSM and restarted it, it reverted to the WAN and of course could not find the camera. But wait -- after a minute or two it detected a LAN and I was able to connect to the camera. So -- problem solved, I guess, as long as I can remember it may take SYSM a minute or two to figure out where the camera is.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
JJMartin
Aspirant

Re: WNA1100 can't connect to my new camera because it won't accept 5-character password

I just tried the 8-digt password that the camera uses to start the network. Netgear Genie said I connected to the internet. My camera viewing program (SYSM Monitor) still can't connect to the camera, says it's offline. The camera's network is named Q7. How can I tell SYSM that it needs to look at the WNA1100 instead of the cable modem?

Message 2 of 3
JJMartin
Aspirant

I unplugged my cable modem from my PC. Then Windows Defender asked if I wanted SYSM to be able to connect to public networks. I said yes. Now SYSM thinks it is connected to a LAN instead of a WAN and it connected to the camera using the 5-digit password. I plugged the modem cable back in and then Firefox was on the internet ok and SYSM was displaying the camera ok.  But when I terminated SYSM and restarted it, it reverted to the WAN and of course could not find the camera. But wait -- after a minute or two it detected a LAN and I was able to connect to the camera. So -- problem solved, I guess, as long as I can remember it may take SYSM a minute or two to figure out where the camera is.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7