× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNA3100 constantly disconnecting on Windows 10

WJvanEden
Star

WNA3100 constantly disconnecting on Windows 10

Hello, I own two WNA3100: http://support.netgear.com/product/WNA3100 wifi adapters, one for a Windows 10 machine, the other for a Windows 7 machine. The one I'm using for Windows 7 works fine and has no issues whatsoever and is quite a few meters away from my Netgear router, the R6300.

The new Windows 10 machine is much closer to the router so range is not a problem but the wifi adapter keeps disconnecting almost every minute. I have the latest drivers which should support Windows 10 but it looks like the drivers are highly unstable for some reason. After I disconnect and reconnect the adapter to the PC the adapter works fine for another a minute then the connection again shows "limited" or it just disconnects itself completely. I've tried several USB ports on the back and the front of my PC, most of the them are regular USB 2.0 ports and all have the same problem.

I'd really like to know how I can fix this, the product always worked great on Windows 7 but it just doesn't seem to function on Windows 10 even though it says it's supported.

Any help would seriously be appreciated.

Message 1 of 47

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Betreff: WNA3100 constantly disconnecting on Windows 10

i found a solution that worked for me:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters/A6200-Disconnecting-on-Windows-10/td-p/981072

Step 1:Go to "Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings".

Step 2:Expand "Wireless Adaptor Settings > Power Saving Mode" and make sure it is set to "Maximum Performance".

Step 3:Expand "USB Settings > USB Selective Suspend Settings" and change Setting to "Disabled".

View solution in original post

Message 42 of 47

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi,

Have you tried to manually update the driver of the adapter on the device manager? Also please try the Standalone driver instead of the driver with genie.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 47
WJvanEden
Star

I have tried downloading the most recent driver again (the one that says it supports Windows 10).

I then go to the Windows device manager, find the Netgear WNA3100 and try to manually update the driver by pointing it to the folder containing the standalone driver setup file but it says the most recent version is already installed.

The problems remains and apparantly I'm not the only one, I have seen other topics by other people who are experiencing the same issues. 

Message 3 of 47
JamesGL
Master

Please try to disable your antivirus or firewall for the meantime and observe the connection.

Message 4 of 47
cbirks
Initiate

Hi,

Same problem here and none of the solutions are working. Tried reinstall, manual install, disable minimum power, turn off Windows' permission to turn off, etc, still dropping out alarmingly quickly.

Any other recommendations/solution planned soon?

Chris

Message 5 of 47
JimmyMc
Initiate

I am having the same issue as of yesterday.  I have two Windows 10 Machines with the Netgear 3100, both went down.  It shows the wifi networks available but will not let me connect.  I tried everything listed including deleting and updating the driver only.  When I attach it to my Windows 8 machine it connects fine.  Would love any help anyone has.  Thanks!

Message 6 of 47
WJvanEden
Star

It's the driver for sure. I've had the WNA3100 running on Windows 7 for at least a year and never had a problem. Since upgrading to Windows 10 I have had nothing but disconnects.

The driver really needs to be updated. I'm hoping that Netgear will read this and do the right thing.

Message 7 of 47
sleestak2
Initiate

Add me to the list.  The network adapter shuts itself off and disconnects from the network after a few minutes using the supposed Windows 10 drivers.  Netgear needs to correct this stat...you'd think after 6 months they would have come up with something.  The problem isn't Firewall, it isn't Antivirus, it isn't sleep settings...IT'S POORLY MADE DRIVERS.

I have to use my Nexus tablet to tether to my computer for Wifi since my Netgear adapter is so unreliable.  This adapter goes back to the store tomorrow, and my Netgear routers/switches at home and work are being replaced by a brand that can keep up with the times.

Message 8 of 47
David2001
Aspirant

Re: WNA3100 constantly disconnecting on Windows 10 - also WNDA3100v2

I've just starting getting this problem with the WNDA3100v2 right after Win 10 had resarted after an automatic update.  Reset the router, no luck.  Downloaded the Win 10 driver (no genie), uninstalled the current driver (same version as the downloaded one), rebooted the system and installed the downloaded one.  Installation stalled with a pop up error x103 titled SupTools so no functioning wifi.

David

Message 9 of 47
JamesGL
Master

Hi David2001,

If you have another Windows 10 computer, try installing it and check if you have the same error.

Message 10 of 47
stephenhui
Guide

Add me to the list of people experiencing constant disconnects, and to the list of people pointing the finger squarely at the driver.  

If you look in Event Viewer, you'll see that the driver is constantly freaking out.  Here's the error I copied from Event Viewer:

"The network interface "NETGEAR WNA3100 N300 Wireless USB Adapter" has begun resetting.  There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets.

Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset.

This network interface has reset 65094 time(s) since it was last initialized."

This is incredibly frustrating since I'll initiate a download, walk away, then come back an hour later to discover that the Netgear driver crashed a few minutes after I walked away and my download didn't complete.  I shouldn't have to constant hover over my computer to ensure that the Wi-fi's still working.

Message 11 of 47
JimmyMc
Initiate

I agree as I am having the same issue!

Message 12 of 47
David2001
Aspirant

Installed the Genie version and didn't get the x103 error but still have the drop out problem.  I've also tried the A6100 adapter and get exactly the same dropout problem so it's not just this adapter.  A bit frustrating to say the least!

David

Message 13 of 47
David2001
Aspirant

Unfortunately I don't have another Win 10 computer.

Message 14 of 47
WJvanEden
Star

@stephenhui

I have the exact same thing! This proves it's the driver that's not working correctly, not something else.

NETGEAR really needs to update it's driver. The list of people experiencing these problems is getting bigger.

Message 15 of 47
stephenhui
Guide

JamesGL seems to have moved on, but to answer his previous questions: I have two Windows 10 PCs, and both are experiencing this issue.  I have done multiple driver uninstall / reinstalls and updates, both through Windows' Update Driver wizard and manually using the drivers downloaded from Netgear's site.

Message 16 of 47
JamesGL
Master

Hi Stephenhui,

Please check your inbox.

Message 17 of 47
atmb82
Tutor

I have the same exact issue, WNA3100 with windows 10 keeps disconnecting.

I tried to change usb power settings, port, usb 2.0, usb 3.0, with extension usb cable, without cable...

no way. it keeps disconnecting. Can you help me too?

Message 18 of 47
stephenhui
Guide

Replied via personal message.

Message 19 of 47
atmb82
Tutor

I didn't get any private message... can you please check?

Message 20 of 47
Randytucsonariz
Aspirant

N300 WNA3100 usb adapter will not even find any wireless.  Tried Genie, tried removing drivers, reboot computer, reinstall, nothing works.

New drivers downloaded, today, did all the steps, even tried the windows drivers only.  Nothing.  It is deaf and blind.

Windows 10 computer.

Dlink adapter works fine.  

Netgear is quickly losing a customer here, and I am pretty vocal, so I will be telling everybody about how poorly Netgear works.

Message 21 of 47
Randytucsonariz
Aspirant

I even registered on here, to reply.  When I find a good adapter, I shall UN register, as it appears Netgear is not ready for primetime.

Message 22 of 47
stephenhui
Guide

atmb82, I replied to JamesGL (who contacted me offline), not to you.  🙂

Message 23 of 47
stephenhui
Guide

For the record, I replied to JamesGL's PM nearly two weeks ago but still haven't heard back.

I took this screenshot a few days ago after my adapter disconnected several times over the space of a few days:

netgear.gif

Previously I'd been able to revive it by disabling it then reenabling it through Windows, but that's no longer working -- it can no longer connect to my Wi-Fi network even after being disabled / enabled, and restarting Windows.

Meanwhile, the other (non-Netgear) adapter I have is working fine.  I'm going to throw my Netgear adapter in the trash, which is really frustrating since I bought it brand new and paid good money for it.

Message 24 of 47
stephenhui
Guide

I also encourage all of you to submit negative reviews of the adapter on Amazon, or whatever online review site you frequent, so that others don't suffer the same problems we have.

Message 25 of 47
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7