× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNA3100 suddenly giving "USB device malfunctioned and could not be recognized."

FinalFantasia
Aspirant

WNA3100 suddenly giving "USB device malfunctioned and could not be recognized."

Hi.

Today I handed my fiance my WNA3100 (which has been sitting on my desk, never dropped, no water damage, nothing) to connect to his PC for the night. It wouldn't read on his computer and gave the windows error "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfuctioned and windows cannot recognize it." So I tried it in mine, same result. Then I tried it in my laptop, same result. Figured it was a firmware issue so I made sure that was all up to date. Nothing. It has a blue light but it's just a consistent blue light and isn't blinking.

Looked up the issue, followed everything I could find, uninstalled everything connected to the devie and tried to reinstall. Now when the stand alone installer is asking me to insert the adapter, I click okay (after inserting the USB and getting the error again) and the window disappears for a moment, then reappears again asking me to insert the device. It's not being detected at all for NO reason.

I'm running on Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903. Again, nothing has even touched the USB adapter in a few days. I've been sick and using my laptop. It's been powered off, sitting still, no damage to the cord or the adapter itself.

Is this a known firmware issue? Or a known issue where it just up and stops working?

Model: WNA3100|Wireless-N 300 USB Adapter
Message 1 of 2
FinalFantasia
Aspirant

Re: WNA3100 suddenly giving "USB device malfunctioned and could not be recognized."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7