× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNA3100M N300 Windows 10

Unknown1988
Aspirant

WNA3100M N300 Windows 10

First time poster. I have looked through the forum but can't find any mention of this problem so far.

My USB wireless adapter, pretty recently purchased, worked out of the box from day one with no problems. Then it started acting up, requiring a restart before it would work. Now it is not working at all, no light from the adapter, nothing.

The computer recognises that the USB is plugged in, but WiFi says it is "turned off".

I have tried the obvious - uninstalling and reinstalling, trying alternative drivers, but nothing has changed.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Model: WNA3100M|N300 Wireless Mini USB Adapter
Message 1 of 10

Re: WNA3100M N300 Windows 10

@Unknown1988 wrote:

The computer recognises that the USB is plugged in, but WiFi says it is "turned off".

The WNA3100M is a wif client. That seems to be a message from the wifi source. Have you investigated that?

Message 2 of 10
Unknown1988
Aspirant

Yes, I should add that the computer is now not receiveing any WiFi signal in any location - home, next to the router, in my office or out and about.  I bought the USB adapter to replace the WiFi built into the computer that had failed.

And It did work when I first got it, so I guess it could be an actual hardware problem and technical problem with the USB device.  If that turns out to be the case obviously I can just return it for a replacement.

Message 3 of 10
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Check the USB adapter driver status under Device manager. This might help you to identify if this a driver issue. 

1. Right-click the Start button and open Device Manager.
  2. Navigate to Network adapters.

Another option, try to install the WLAN adapter to another computer. 

Message 4 of 10
Unknown1988
Aspirant

Not sure what you mean by status. The driver is there, version 1027.4.322.2017, pretty sure that's just the driver installed straight from the set-up disc.

Trying to install the adapter on another computer is a worthy next step and I'll give that a go.
Message 5 of 10
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Unknown1988,

Try to use the latest software version. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000055955/WNA3100M-Software-Version-1-2-0-9

Message 6 of 10
Unknown1988
Aspirant

Two updates to my issues:

1 - New driver installed to my laptop with no effect, still no blue light on the USB and no network picked up by the laptop.

2 - Tested USB device on a different computer as suggested above and it has worked first time.

I cannot fathom what error there could be with my laptop that it recognises the USB as plugged in, has the latest drivers, worked previously but now does not.

Message 7 of 10
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Unknown1988, 

Can you connect the WiFi USB adapter to any USB port and check the Device Manager > Network Adapter if the device detected? You may check this article below that might help you. 

https://windowsreport.com/usb-wi-fi-adapter-not-recognized/ 

Message 8 of 10

@Nodism1125 wrote:

Check the USB adapter driver status under Device manager. This might help you to identify if this a driver issue. 

1. Right-click the Start button and open Device Manager.
  2. Navigate to Network adapters.

Another option, try to install the WLAN adapter to another computer. 

Good idea.

While in there, get Windows to show Hidden  Devices.

Do the same thing in the USB zone.

Delete the drivers (with the adapter removed) and then reinstalling can fix it. Or simply relying on whatever Windows installs without going near the Netgear drivers. They aren't always needed.

Message 9 of 10
Unknown1988
Aspirant

Yes, the device is listed under the network adapters

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements