× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNCE 3001 Thousands of DHCP requests to time-g.netgear.com

Spotter
Aspirant

WNCE 3001 Thousands of DHCP requests to time-g.netgear.com

Hi All, i hope this is the correct forum.

I am hoping that somebody can help with my problem.

I recently set up Open DNS, out of interest more than anything , so i could see the traffic going via my router and the top of the list is to time-g.netgear.com , I think it says time-g but it could be time-a, and there have been thousands of requests, basically once a second.

I can also see the DHCP requests on my router log but it doesnt show the domain name.

i have updated the firmware which didn't help, cany anyone give any advice please?

It is connected to my Zyxel Router and I connect the WNCE3001 o an FS105 switch to run my tv and other devices but the DHCP requests still heppen if i disconnect the switch.

Message 1 of 9
JamesGL
Master

Re: WNCE 3001 Thousands of DHCP requests to time-g.netgear.com

Hi Spotter,

The time-g.netgear.com is the NTP server of NETGEAR. It is normal since NETGEAR devices is connecting or requesting time update through the NTP server.

Message 2 of 9
JamesGL
Master

Hi Spotter,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 9
Spotter
Aspirant

Hi, Thanks for the reply, sorry i missed it.

Is it normal to be making thousands of requests a day though, surely it doesnt need to check the time that often? 

It totally clogs up my router Log when i am trying to view what other connections are being made as all i get are pages of the netgear request.

Can I turn it off ?

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
Spotter
Aspirant

To be more precise, in a 2 hour 20 minute window i have 1712 DHCP requests that look like the below, that cant be right can it ?

2017 Jun 28 19:01:40 DHCP server notice Send DHCP OFFER to EC:71:DB:EA:4B:79 with IP 192.168.1.2 

2017 Jun 28 19:01:40 DHCP server notice Receive DHCP DISCOVER from EC:71:DB:EA:4B:79

Message 5 of 9
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Not familiar with the WNCE3001 but there should be an option in the setup to turn off getting time from the netgear server which, like a lot of other netgear services, no longer exists.

Message 6 of 9
Spotter
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, i searched all through the settings and couldn't find an option to turn it off.

i am wodering if it is making that many requests it is actually slowing down my connection speed

Message 7 of 9
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Try a speedtest and ping with the WNCE3001 connected and then disconnected.  

Message 8 of 9
Spotter
Aspirant

Will give that a try, thanks

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements