× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNCE2001 Hijacking Network DHCP

rebus9
Novice

WNCE2001 Hijacking Network DHCP

The WNCE2001 is basically a wireless bridge that allows devices that only have a copper Ethernet port to connect to a wireless network.

In our case a video appliance plugs into the WNCE2001, which then makes a wireless connection to the office wi-fi. Visually it looks like this (pardon my text art).

VIDEO_UNIT <--CAT5e--> WNCE2001 {..wireless-signal..} WIFI_ACCESS_POINT <--CAT5e--> WIRED NETWORK

During the INITIAL setup, you plug a PC into the WNCE2001 which uses its built-in DHCP server to assign the PC an IP address. You then get connected to the WNCE2001 setup utility where you select a wi-fi network and enter the security key. Then the WNCE2001 goes into transparent mode and acts like a bridge.

Our (large) office network has DHCP servers.

PROBLEM: Randomly, the WNCE2001 drops out of transparent mode and begins assigning its own DHCP addresses to office devices OVER THE WI-FI CONNECTION.

Since these addresses are NOT in the same subnet as our office network, devices that receive one of these rogue IP assignments from the WNCE2001 are immediately cut off from all network services.

Anyone have a clue why this is happening? IMO, the WNCE2001 should NEVER hand out DHCP addresses to any client other than the one plugged into the RJ-45 port. Giving out rogue IP addresses to other wired-LAN clients is destructive to the network.

Message 1 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

so what is the IP differences and assume wnce2001 is continue to connected to your existing SSDI and not others?
Message 2 of 11
rebus9
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:
so what is the IP differences

Well, for one thing, the office is a combination of several subnets, NONE of them in the same range as the WNCE2001. So the addresses being issued are unuseable.

Secondly, when the WNCE2001 issues an IP, it makes itself the default gateway (on .251). So clients not only lose connectivity to office resources (domain controllers, print and file servers) but also to the outside world.

jmizoguchi wrote:
and assume wnce2001 is continue to connected to your existing SSDI and not others?

Huh ???
Message 3 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

why not show the what private IP in details you are talking about.
Message 4 of 11
crabboy
Novice

I have the exact same problem. I had no problems for over a year and just recently, it has started doing this. It gives out a 192.168.1.xxx address. I know it is this device because I can connect to the admin page with the laptop with the bad address. The only way around it is to turn it off. I've put in support case and I'll see entering the case was worth my time.

I have 3 subnets and none are in this range.
Message 5 of 11
rebus9
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:
why not show the what private IP in details you are talking about.

Why is this so hard to understand????

Our office LAN runs in 10.1.1.0/24 space.

The WNCE2001 issues addresses out of 192.168.1.0/24 with 192.168.1.251 as both default gateway and DNS server. This is SUPPOSED TO BE ONLY DURING CONFIGURATION OF THE WNCE2001.

However, once in production, the WNCE2001 starts randomly acting as a DHCP server, giving client PCs addresses in 192.168.1.0/24 with 192.168.1.251 as the default gateway and primary DNS.

THERE IS NO DOUBT. The WNCE2001 is issuing these addresses over wi-fi to devices in the office.

Moments ago I received a response to my support ticket, and the CLUELESS SUPPORT REP SAID THE WNCE2001 HAS **NO BUILT-IN DHCP SERVER OF ANY KIND**. That is CLEARLY WRONG because the WNCE2001 NEEDS to issue an IP address as part of the initial configuration process.

The difference is, IT SHOULD **NEVER** ISSUE DHCP ADDRESSES TO CLIENTS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF ITS WI-FI CONNECTION.
Message 6 of 11
sTiNkFiZzLe
Novice

Having the same issue. I know what is casing, but not sure why. Basiclly after a power failure or a restart the device loses its config. It then enables DHCP on the network and hijacks the network. The real issue is why does the config reset to default? Why is DHCP enabled, why not manually enter the IP into the NIC card for configuration? Is there a fix for this?
Message 7 of 11
JAN_P
Aspirant

Fixed mine: Re: WNCE2001 Hijacking Network DHCP

I was having the same issue, but I got it fixed.

I went to http://mywifiext.net (NOT .com!)

I verified my firmware patch level was V1.0.0.26

I went into the area to adjust ip, and it was set to use dhcp. Since it was not using dhcp, I changed it to not use dhcp, and gave it an address in 192.168.0, which it didn't like. Then I changed it BACK to use dhcp and saved.

THAT took a long time, a minute or two.

After that it worked great!

So internal settings might not be fully set regardless of what is reported on the screen at first.
Message 8 of 11
Jecder
Novice

Sorry to bring back a old thread but this is happening to me with this device. All other devices on the network get redirected to the configuration page which proves that the device is still connected to the network. All supposed fixes listed here have not worked. I even went as far as to replace the WNCE2001 to no resolution.
Message 9 of 11
KevinTapestry
Aspirant

Same here. this has been going on for more than a year. I even run a Sonicwall and assign static IP's to the adapters based on mac address's. It took down an entire school of 1 to 1 instruction today. Took out all of the Chromebooks and teacher computers in 2 rooms then after classes switched it did it to a whole new group of students. NETGEAR refuses to admit there is any problem.

Kevin

Message 10 of 11
Diskutant
Aspirant

I had the same problems but I found the source of the problem (at least in my case).

I always had the problem after a power outage (happens very rarely, but happens). So, when the power is back, the router (DHCP server) starts up, but the wnce2001 is much faster at booting, so it seems it checks if there is a DHCP server online, it doesn't find one as the router is still booting, and the wnce2001 turns on it's own DHCP server for configuration purposes. Then the router is finally back up, and I have 2 DHCP servers running which of course leads to the known problems. 

So, basically the problem is that the wnce2001 doesn't turn off it's own DHCP server when the DHCP server from the router is back online. So I need to turn the wnce2001 off and on again and everything is back to normal.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7