× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNCE2001 inappropriately providing DHCP connections

KevinAGI
Aspirant

Re: WNCE2001 inappropriately providing DHCP connections

Yep still an Issue! I have a brand new school that has 10 of these devices throughout the building. Every student has a laptop, all of my projectors are Wi-Fi, and all of my printers are suppose to be. At least thats what I ordered. The company we have a contract with for managed print services decided to use regular printers and these devices. Now every morning I have to go around and trouble shoot these. Some days it's only one or two others (This morning) ALL OF THEM! Screwed up my whole morning.

Lucky for me I did not purchase them and I can put it all back on the print company to solve.

Kevin
Message 51 of 59
ccurzio
Aspirant

I also have this exact same problem, and I have four of these bridge devices.

Netgear makes some good products, but these things are absolute GARBAGE. Hijacking a network by acting as a DHCP server and handing out completely invalid addresses is downright awful, yet that's exactly what these things are doing.

I've contacted Netgear support to try and get a fix. I don't expect to get any help whatsoever.
Message 52 of 59
Reuben12
Initiate

I Am having the exact same issue - I have 10 devices in 10 different sites to enable wifi connectivity on Canon MFPs.

The sites have chromebooks which randomly connect either to the main router or, at random, to the WNCE2001 with its address as a gateway resulting in no internet connectivity - SOO ridiculous.

The devices are running the latest firmware and had a static ip -  I will tried the suggestion to set them to DHCP and assign an address using mac address reservations on the router but no luck - has netgear not got any fixes for this yet? SUCH a destructive flaw.

Thanks

Message 53 of 59
JamesGL
Master

Hi @Reuben12,

Welcome to Community!

Did you install the adapter using a computer? Can you get valid IP when the adapter is set to DHCP? How far are the adapters from the router?

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 54 of 59
Reuben12
Initiate

Hi James,

Yes installed using a computer - can obtain an ip when set to dhcp but I set the adapter with a static address.  Adapter about 8m from the router.

Any suggestions?

Message 55 of 59
JamesGL
Master

@Reuben12,

So when the adapter is connected to the computer and connected to the network, can the computer access internet?

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 56 of 59
GaryL810
Aspirant

Add me to the list of users that this is happening to. WNCE2001 acting like a DHCP server when specifically told NOT TO.

Message 57 of 59
JamesGL
Master

Hi @GaryL810,

What is the IP address you get when connected to WNCE2001?

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 58 of 59
MarcK1
Aspirant

Add me, also. The unit ran fine for a couple of years before hijacking DHCP. It's now out of my system, to be replaced with a MikroTik RBmAP2n.

Message 59 of 59
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7