× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNCE2001 pass through IP address

sktn77a
Virtuoso

WNCE2001 pass through IP address

I'm using a Netgear WNCE2001 to connect a NAS drive to my wireless network (Netgear R7000).  Everything appeared to be working fine - I can access the drives contents on windows/network explorer and I can access the NAS's control page.  However, I want to use the drive to store video from my security cameras.  This requires the comera to connect with the NAS' IP address.  However, the only IP address I have is that of the WNCE2001.

Any way to access the IP address of the drive itself so that the cameras can connect to it?

Message 1 of 13
TheEther
Guru

Re: WNCE2001 pass through IP address

If you can access the NAS's control page, then look around on the NAS and see if there's a page that shows its IP address.

Message 2 of 13
sktn77a
Virtuoso

OK, thanks.  I just tried that.  The WNCE2001 IP address is 192.168.1.37 and the NAS's internal IP address is 192.1681.14.  When I direct the cameras to 192.1681.14, they just say NAS access failed (same as when I direct them to 192.168.1.34).  I don't think this is going to work but if there are any other ideas out there, I'm all ears.

Message 3 of 13
TheEther
Guru

What method is being used by the cameras to access the NAS?  SMB (aka Windows file sharing)?  FTP?  Something else?

Is that method of access enabled on your NAS?

Message 4 of 13
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Unfortunately, Lorex provide no information whatsoever on how their systems work (L-View software) and their technical support/customer service is non-existant.  The cameras are LNC-200 series (LNC-204 and LNC-216).

NAS recording can only be done over a local network (the network the cameras are on) and not on a remote NAS.  I don't know if this provides any useful clues.

😞

Message 5 of 13
TheEther
Guru

The LNC-200 series manual is here.  The LNC-216 manual is here.  I could only find details about recording to a NAS for the LNC-216 (page 174).  It appears that you have to set up Windows folder sharing on the NAS.  You would, then, enter the name of the folder into the camera settings along with the IP address, username and password to access the NAS.

As to the LNC-200, it doesn't look like it can record directly to a NAS.  What you could do, however, is run the L-View software on a PC/Mac.  Then have the PC/Mac record to the NAS as a network-mapped Windows drive.

Message 6 of 13
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Thanks Ether:  The LNC-200, LNC-204 and LNC-214 are all the same camera.  They all connect and record to my NAS when I have it wired to the router.  The only option for recording to the NAS is to provide the IP address.  There's nowhere in the setup routine to add a folder.  The software in the cameras automatically sets up a LOREX subfolder in the PUBLC folder of the NAS once it can connect to it. 

But let me look at the reference manual once more to see if I am missing anything.

Thanksagain  for your help.

Message 7 of 13
TheEther
Guru

If your cameras can connect and record to your NAS, then doesn't that mean it's working?  What is the problem?

Message 8 of 13
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Sorry, should have been clearer.  I have 2 NAS machines - one on a wired network (the one that works) and one on a wireless network (which wasn't working).  I found another internal IP address for the one that is connected behind the WNCE2001 and used that IP address and I can now access it.  So I have both the WNCE2001 and the MyCloud Mirror MAC and IP addressed reserved now (equivalent of a static IP) so that when we get a power cut, the router will keep the IP addresses registered in the cameras.

Fingers crossed, and thanks for you help and support!

Message 9 of 13
TheEther
Guru

Glad you got it working!

Message 10 of 13
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Well, now that I got it working, curiosity has got the better of me and i'm wondering how it's working.  My system router recognizes the IP address (192.168.1.37) and MAC address of the WNCE2001 bridge, which I have set up as a reserved address.  But the NAS doesn't show up anywhere in the router's attached devices page.  I used the IP address (197.168.1.3) and MAC address that were in the NAS's setup page and reserved those addreses in the router (don't know yet if this will be a problem as the router apparently knows nothing about the 197.168.1.3 IP  address).  So I'm wondering where is the NAS gettong the 197.168.1.3 IP address from - from the router (which doesn't seem to acknowledge its existence) DHCP function, or from the WNCE2001 (does it have a DHCP function)?

Message 11 of 13
TheEther
Guru

I doubt that the WNCE2001 has a built-in DHCP server.  Can you ping 192.168.1.3 from a PC and then look at the ARP table (arp -a in a Command Prompt)?  Take note of the MAC address reported for 192.168.1.3 and see if it matches the NAS or the WNCE2001.  If it matches the WNCE2001, then the WNCE2001 could be performing a type of layer 2 NAT.  This could explain why the NAS doesn't show up as an attached device on the router; the router may not know how to handle two different IP addresses with the same MAC address.  From a networking standpoint there is nothing wrong with this.  It's merely a cosmetic issue with the router.

Message 12 of 13
sktn77a
Virtuoso

I can ping both IP addresses from a command propmpt but the oly MAC address in the ARP table is the WNCE2001.

"It matches the WNCE2001, then the WNCE2001 could be performing a type of layer 2 NAT.  This could explain why the NAS doesn't show up as an attached device on the router; the router may not know how to handle two different IP addresses with the same MAC address."

I don't really understand this but I guess that's what its doing.

🙂

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7