× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDA3100v2 LED stays on after I turn off PC

Retired_Member
Not applicable

WNDA3100v2 LED stays on after I turn off PC

The wifi adapter LED doesn't go off when the computer does.  All obvious advanced settings for it and for computer power functions specify it cannot wake the computer.  Is this normal or is there something not obvious I may have overlooked?  Thanks for any help.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WNDA3100v2 LED stays on after I turn off PC

Many desktop computers, and some laptops where powered from the mains, will continue to provide power to USB ports when the computer is shut down. A desktop will normally have a 5V standby supply active when shut down, and this will typically power devices like USB ports and Ethernet LAN devices. In the case of Ethernet this allows the Wake-On-LAN function to operate, but for USB powered WiFi devices which require drivers to operate, that kind of function will not exist.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WNDA3100v2 LED stays on after I turn off PC

Many desktop computers, and some laptops where powered from the mains, will continue to provide power to USB ports when the computer is shut down. A desktop will normally have a 5V standby supply active when shut down, and this will typically power devices like USB ports and Ethernet LAN devices. In the case of Ethernet this allows the Wake-On-LAN function to operate, but for USB powered WiFi devices which require drivers to operate, that kind of function will not exist.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7