× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNDA3100v3 will not connect at 5 GHz

rdfay634
Aspirant

WNDA3100v3 will not connect at 5 GHz

I have a WNDA3100v3.  I am running Windows 10 and have a Hitron CGNVM-2559 cable modem/router.  My wifi adapter will connect but only in 2.4 GHz and not 5.  I have gone into the adapter settings and tried to force it to 5GHz and it will not connect to the router.  I get no error message when I do this it just will not connect.  There is about 10 ft between the router and adapter and it has a clear line of sight and shows full signal strength.  All other devices will connect at 5 GHz and give me the appropriate speeds.

Model: WNDA3100v3|N600 WIFI USB Adapter
Message 1 of 14

Can the adapter see the 5GHz SSID?

Any chance that the modem/router is blocking it?

I'd check the router and Windows for possible issues.

Message 2 of 14
rdfay634
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.  The adapter is showing both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz connections are available on the router.  When I try to connect to the 5G it connects to the 2.4 instead.  If i go into the adapter settings and force it to 5G it shows just the 5G connection in the Genie.  When I try to connect to that connection the computer acts like it is trying to connect then just stop and isn't connected.  There is no error message showing up when I do this.  The router has been ran through basic diagnostics by the ISP (Mediacom) and every other device we have is connecting properly and at the correct speed.  I have looked through windows 10 settings and don't see anything out of place but I'll admit I am FAR from and expert.

Message 3 of 14
Sooron
Aspirant

Hi, i have the same problem, my girlfriend has the adapter 30 cm from my laptop that can receive the 5Ghz Wifi but she can't, her adapter is connecting to Wifi 2,4Ghz only : (

Windows 10 / Version 1.0.0.10 des logiciels

Model: WNDA3100v3|N600 WIFI USB Adapter
Message 4 of 14
sadmath
Guide

These posts are from almost a month ago and Netgear doesn't care.

Message 5 of 14

@sadmath wrote:

These posts are from almost a month ago and Netgear doesn't care.

If you want official support, you are in the wrong place.

This is a use-to-user forum with input from a tiny band of Netgear staff.

Message 6 of 14
sadmath
Guide

Ok.

So how do I get actual support?

Message 7 of 14

Depends on what you want.

You have joined in on the end of a conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problem.

Start here:

Contact Support

Or take the revolutionary step of using the forum, where you may well find people who are better informed than the call centres that Netgear uses.

Sitting on the sidelines and whingeing is guaranteed to get you nowhere.

Message 8 of 14
sadmath
Guide

lmao

From the chat logs.

Hello, my WNDA3100v2 keeps disappearing from device manager. I have to unplug it and plug it back in. It does this ever 10 minutes or until I put a heavy load on it. Using Windows 7 64 bit.

4:32:45 PM
Annu Y

Please change the channel to 11 under 2.4ghz in the router.

4:34:06 PM
Me

It's on the 5ghz range.

4:34:26 PM

It's a usb card, not a router.

Message 9 of 14

@sadmath wrote:

Netgear does not make USB cards.

Message 10 of 14
sadmath
Guide

.....and the live agent just straight bailed on me after he had me install the genie software. More problems arose, and the adapter still disappears.

....and live chat is now unavailable.

Seriously can't wait until I get my new wifi card. Going to try out Linksys for a while since EVERY Netgear thing I own fails in one way other another.

Message 11 of 14
sadmath
Guide

@michaelkenward wrote:

@sadmath wrote:

Netgear does not make USB cards.

The WNDA3100 is a USB card.

Message 12 of 14

This may be where things go wrong for you. Use the wrong names and you will baffle people.

The WNDA3100 is a WiFi USB Adapter. Nowhere will you find it described as a card.

Some people call these things dongles. That is not quite true if you understand the history of that word – dongles were early anti-piracy devices –  but it is widely used and people will know what you are taking about.

In computer terms, cards are mostly circuit boards that slide into a slot inside a device, usually a PC. I have several USB cards in the PC I built. They are there to add USB ports for things like the  Netgear USB adapter I have for wifi, as well as a USB Bluetooth adapter.

All this is pretty theoretical as your mission in life seems to be to complain rather than to get things fixed.

You have yet to begin a conversation with a clear statement of the problems you are having with your WNDA3100 USB adapter.

Message 13 of 14
sadmath
Guide

@michaelkenward wrote:

All this is pretty theoretical as your mission in life seems to be to complain rather than to get things fixed.

You have yet to begin a conversation with a clear statement of the problems you are having with your WNDA3100 USB adapter.

That's because I'm very angry for not only spending a couple hundred bucks on worthless crap, but also recommending Netgear to friends, family, and customers. I had one really nice router in 2009 and assumed they put out solid products based on that one router. Now I feel like an idiot for subjecting my friends and customers to these problems. 

"When I fixed your computer and told you to buy that router that keeps being wonky, well, I bought the same one and I'm having the same problem." Yeah, they definitely won't be calling me to have their computers repaired again after that.

Also, I have another post in this sub forum titled "Netgear is horrible." where I describe  why I feel that way and the problems I'm having with both routers and USB cards.

Merry Christmas.

-sent from 4g Sprint because my router sucks

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7