× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDA4100 Install on Win7 Ultimate; Genie Won't Run and No Speed Increase

n4hmr
Aspirant

WNDA4100 Install on Win7 Ultimate; Genie Won't Run and No Speed Increase

I just recently bought two WNDA4100's to replace a couple of WNA3100's on two Win7 Ultimate PCs.  I was looking for higher download speeds.

Issue #1.  When I had the WNA3100's installed, Netgear Genie worked just fine - every time.  After I removed the WNA3100 install and installed the WNDA4100 (V 1.2.0.14), Genie blew out shortly after cranking up for the first time with the message "WNDA4100 Genie MFC Application has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you  if a solution is available."  Didn't even get a chance to use Genie to select the Dang network.  I used the Windows screens to get the 4100's working.

Now, even thought the Genie icon is on the Desktop, I have to click on it MANY times to even get it to launch; sometimes I just see a quick flash in the center of the screen then its gone or just see a 'busy circle' over the icon with no further indication.  If it does put the Genie screen up, I immediately get the failure message mentioned above.  Same thing on the other PC.

What's bugging BOTH PCs?  Note: Didn't have this Crap with the WNA3100 installs.

Issue #2  

After using the Windows screens to select the Network and enter the Security code, I am not seeing any speed increase at all! Not happy!  Both PCs are Dells - a GX520 and a 755 USFF (4Gb each).  The 755 is clearly more powerful than the GX520 but no speed increase on it either.

My ISP is TWC, and I have a TWC Arris modem to feed the voice line, and I use my own Motorola SBG6560 for the Internet operation.  The 6580 is running in N mode, so why don't I get better speeds 

Message 1 of 11
n4hmr
Aspirant

Re: WNDA4100 Install on Win7 Ultimate; Genie Won't Run and No Speed Increase

Forgot to mention that the two PCs are about 15' from the 6580, and I still have full power showing with the 6580 cut back to 75% power.

Fred

Message 2 of 11
pesco
Aspirant

Similar situation here. 3100 drivers and software removed prior to new installation. All goes well until asked to connect the 4100 then APPCRASH

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: WNDA4100.EXE
Application Version: 1.2.0.10
Application Timestamp: 50ecd160
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.19045
Fault Module Timestamp: 56258f05
Exception Code: e06d7363
Exception Offset: 0000c42d
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Feedback / advice would be welcomed

Message 3 of 11
n4hmr
Aspirant

Hey Pesco -

Sorry to hear you're having this problem, but at least now I know that SOMEBODY else has it, too!

Two very important details missing in your post is WHERE did you get the file you tried to install, and what version of the file were you using? Read on for more info!

I have been working with 2nd Level Tech Jenny (and others) on this problem. I've been in and out a lot so have had difficulty re-connecting with Jenny. On 01/04 (I think), Jenny said she went to the lab and downloaded a *Version 1.2 0.14* file and installed it. She reported that it worked just fine, ***AND*** that the Genie screen reported that the Genie version was *1.2.0.14*!

Me and the Techs I have worked with have REPEATEDLY (15-20 times) downloaded the v 1.2.0.14 file from the website, AND EVERY TIME IT BLOWS OUT FOR THE GENIE APP!  *FURTHER*, it reports the Genie app version as being *1.2 0.10*, just like you reported, NOT THE v1.2.0.14 THAT JENNY SAID SHE SAW IN THE LAB!

I have been trying to get Jenny to grab the file she used and transfer that file to me using TeamViewer. I want HER file to test here - since she said it worked in the lab and gave the matching Genie version number (1.2.0.14)!

I am waiting on a call now from Jenny, and hopefully I'll get HER version of the file. We'll see.

Fred

Message 4 of 11
n4hmr
Aspirant

Accidentally posted twice - couldn't find a way to delete the 2nd post.  Pbbbbbttttt.

Message 5 of 11
pesco
Aspirant

Hi, and apologies for the delay in replying.

The file I used was WNDA4100_software-version-1.2.0.14 and inside this file is a link to the download link:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDA4100/WNDA4100_software-version-1.2.0.14.zip

these are the file hashes:

CRC32: D17064D2
MD5: 9EDA14BA0E3FBC9E3E3567E2DD584112
SHA-1: 99964F52FC810BEC6C14418428C9A8AF143F945F

From inside the archive, I used WNDA4100_V1.2.0.14_Setup.exe (file hashes below)

CRC32: 5E3DC953
MD5: AF71786DED664CB0A0FF7C18414AD48F
SHA-1: 0497EDFEFB14E8EFFF85D31C1469C99683D52D99

It would be useful if you could compare yours, NETGEAR's copy (if they can provide it) and mine and ensure that we are all using the same version.

OK. I have de-installed all previous versions of genie and old drivers and started again. Net genie installs and attempts to connect with the server but crashes as soon as password is provided (I chose not to use WPS). Once again, I can confirm that the version that is installed using this setup file is 1.2.0.10 and NOT 1.2.0.14. It seems very strange that NETGEAR claim that the correct version is installed, so I feel that it is imperative that a hash check comparison is done because you and I are having a different outcome to NETGEAR.

In the meantime, I am using the dongle succesfully with nothing but drivers provided by Windows. It is also possible to use WNDA4100_V1.2.0.14_Standalone.exe provided by NETGEAR, it just means that you lose the GUI but Network and Sharing Centre is an easy enough alternative.

I hope I have provided you  with enough information and that NETGEAR  keep their promise to get back to you. I'll do whatever I can to assist you in your endeavour.

Message 6 of 11
n4hmr
Aspirant

Pesco - 

Interesting ...  It sounds like you got further with the Genie install than I have.  My 'Genie' bombs out almost immediately after the Genie screen appears.  I can't even begin to pick a network, nothing!

Well, progress - finally.  Spoke to Jenny today (she isn't 2nd level as I was led to believe), and she corrected the issue about her previous testing in the lab.  I had specifically asked if she used *Win 7 Ultimate* in the lab, and let's just say I was led to believe 'Yes'. However, in today's conversation, she corrected that and said she had used Win 10.  But, she said she went back and did use Win 7 Ultimate and, Guess What, it By Golly failed with her same as it has with you, me and at least one other that I know of. 

Yeah.

Subsequently I was connected with Alex (2nd Level) who has confirmed the flaw.  Alex said it was going to be sent to engineering, and he is to send me an email for some more info.  I did point him to your reply for your info.  So, that is where it stands now; at least we now know what is going on - or not.

I am quite surprised that this situation has apparently existed as long as it seems to have.  Certainly not a normal event.   

I keep this post updated.

Fred

Message 7 of 11
pesco
Aspirant

Thanks for the update, at least we can confirm a common link in Win7Ult (or more likely the support files used by Genie).

Re-reading this thread has made me realise that I got further the second time using the version that I linked to and that is really strange because the hashes for the files I used are the same

Message 8 of 11
pesco
Aspirant

This isn't really an update to our problem, it's more of a DIY replacement for the GUI that is Net GENIE...

1. goto Network and Sharing Centre
  2. from the column on the LEFT, CLICK 'Change adapter settings'
  3. RIGHT CLICK the icon for WNDA4100 and select 'Create Shortcut'
  4. decide where you want to place it and say OK

OK, it's nothing new and not as pretty as the NETGEAR GUI, but heck, it saves time having the info and tools just one click away Man Wink

Message 9 of 11
n4hmr
Aspirant

Pesco - 

Yesterday Alex sent me an email containing instructions to run a Belarc Advisor PC profile analyzer, and to file the results to this case.  A previous tech had tested a 2nd Win7 PC (Dell GX520) here - with the same failure results.  So, this morning I ran Belarc on that one and filed that report also. 

I suggested to Alex that he contact you to run Belarc on your system, so he may.  That is a real interesting report.  Apparently it thinks my systems are vulnerable to everything including a drunk garbageman dumping trash on 'em!  A wee bit unnerving.

Fred

Message 10 of 11
DanT2590
Tutor

Having the exact same problem with the 3100's on both Windows 10 computers. Does exactly the same thing. Never runs!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7