× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDA4100 and Other Wireless Adapters Low Connection Speed, Failure to Connect at 5G, etc.

Immortalwa
Follower

WNDA4100 and Other Wireless Adapters Low Connection Speed, Failure to Connect at 5G, etc.

I have experienced extremely low connection speeds, seemingly dead adapters, and other problems with two adapters, the WNDA 4100 and WNDA3100 v.2. These have been caused by incompatible drivers automatically being used and persisting in use during Windows 10 installations. To correct these problems, try the following.

1. Go to "Device Manager."

2. Find "Network adapters."

3. Double click on "NETGEAR WNDA____."

4. Go to the "Driver" tab.

5. Click on "Update Driver."

6. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software."

7. Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer."

8. Choose one of the NETGEAR WNDA4100 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter (NETGEAR Inc.) drivers. DO NOT CHOOSE THE ONE THAT IS FROM MediaTek. I am using Driver Version 3.2.7.0 which is dated 1/2/2012 for my Windows 10 setup. That should work with any computer at least from Windows 7 or 8.

Hope this helps!

Cliff

Message 1 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Re: WNDA4100 and Other Wireless Adapters Low Connection Speed, Failure to Connect at 5G, etc.

Hi @Immortalwa,

welcome to Community!

We appreciate you taking time providing workarounds for Windows 10 issue with the adapter. This will be a great help for other users.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 10
cintron2861
Aspirant

Re: WNDA4100 and Other Wireless Adapters Low Connection Speed, Failure to Connect at 5G, etc.

Hello, I have the same issue with Windows 10 Pro, after the upgrade the WNDA4100 900 will not work with the Netgear driver even the most recent 1, I get the blue light if I try to load them.

It will work with the Media Tek driver which is some what sluggish or won't work.

There has to be an answer as to why. The Netgear Genie seems to work, the problem is that this started with Windows 10 but it worked great with Windows 8.1

Message 3 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi @cintron2861,

Please try to load the driver manually. You may refer to this KB article.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29802/~/netgear-a6210-wireless-adapter-not-working-in-...

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 4 of 10
cintron2861
Aspirant

Hello, Let me see if I understood this, the driver A6210 that you mention will work on the WNDA4100 900 adapter.

At this point the driver for the WNDA is working great but I can not let it update because if the New Driver from Media Tek installes

itself,it will be very sluggish or hangs up. If I install the latest Netgear WNDA 4100 then it will stop working correctly.

If I install the Drivers that came with the adapter when I bought it back in February will not work eighter

But if Iuse the 2013 driver there are no issues. What I get from this is that Netgear has not corrected the issue pertaining with the Windows 10,

however I ran Windows 8.1 with this and it worked great.

I completely understand to un-install the old driver(s) and disconnect the adapter and then shut down (restart) the computer.

and finally install the driver(s) and then connect the adapter, unfortunately this is not the case, the last 2 versions including the latest

just won't function with Windows 10 and the Latest Netgear Driver (WNDA 4100).

Unfortunaly, I am not alone with this issue, there are thousands out there with the same result.

All that I get from netgear when I contact support is that the adapter is over 3 months old and it is not covered, the truth to this is not the

adapter, but rather the build into Windows 10,by default Windows 10 will install the Media Tek Driver which will function but very limited and only when it works.

In closing, I am using the Netgear Driver version 5.1.7.0 dated 9/6/2013 and is approved by Microsoft.So far so good.

Message 5 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi @cintron2861,

Just ignore the A6210 driver as your device is different. You may just use the same steps and look for the WNDA4100 driver.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 6 of 10
Shankems
Aspirant

The 2012 3.2.7.0 driver has terrible throughput.  Netgear still has to get their act together. None of the newer versions work in win10 for me.  Does anyone have a zipped version of the latest driver files, that work that can be passed around?  (The actual files, not the installer trash netgear is publishing)

Message 7 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi Shankems,

Have you tried the windows 10 driver?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30066

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 8 of 10
cintron2861
Aspirant

I was not aware of the new driver, this must had just come about in the past week, I had downloaded and installed the Windows 8.1 & 10 version 1.2.0.13 needless to say this did not work even though I did what I always do. un-install, remove adatpter after all is completely un-installed, restart, install new program and finally install adapter.

How ever I will try this one on Saturday to see if it functions, this is based of course if there is a verdion 1.2.0.14 driver for the WNDA4100 900.

Message 9 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi Cintron2861,

Provide us an update once you have tried the new driver.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7