× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Where is the Security Key for a WNA3100

jane-s
Tutor

Where is the Security Key for a WNA3100

I am trying to reconnect after having to remove everything from my PC and take it in for service. I have Win7 and a PC with a phone company modem. 

I am stumped, trying to figure out what to use for a SECURITY KEY that it wants me to type into a box that comes up when I push "CONNECT" .   I have a good green 5-bar icon there, but it apparently isnt connected.

I do not have a "network" only the one PC that works wireless off the phone company's modem that is in the next room. There is no "button" on the modem (only the on/off button) and there are only 2 numbers on the bottom, one of which is its serial number.

HELP please - what to do ? Thank you.

Model: WNA3100M|N300 Wireless Mini USB Adapter
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
jane-s
Tutor

SORRY - WRONG !!

I finally figured this out, on my own. 

As it turns out, the "security key" has absolutely nothing to do with the modem. The modem is 3 years old, and we are using it to get DSL service from telephone company/ISP.  

To be fair, the phone company was no help, either.  I contacted tech support twice and the first time I was told (1) Push the button on the modem (there is no button - only the on/off button); and/or (2) use the number on the modem (the only numbers on the modem are its model and serial number - did not work).  I called tech support again and the rep did not know what I was talking about, no idea what a "security key" was or what the Netgear device was (this is a major national company - they have nobody using these booster devices????)

In desperation I finally used my main password I set up with the phone company when I established the account. GUESS WHAT - !! That works!!  Of course had I been more careful with the Netgear account to write down the password somewhere I could find it, that would have avoided the entire problem.

Thank you to those of you who tried to assist, but nothing (including the manual) was of any help at all.  I really appreciate your time and effort, and am grateful for your support.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi jane-s,

You need to check with the phone company to check the security key of the modem. You can only check it on the modem.

Message 2 of 4
JamesGL
Master

Hi jane-s,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Message 3 of 4
jane-s
Tutor

SORRY - WRONG !!

I finally figured this out, on my own. 

As it turns out, the "security key" has absolutely nothing to do with the modem. The modem is 3 years old, and we are using it to get DSL service from telephone company/ISP.  

To be fair, the phone company was no help, either.  I contacted tech support twice and the first time I was told (1) Push the button on the modem (there is no button - only the on/off button); and/or (2) use the number on the modem (the only numbers on the modem are its model and serial number - did not work).  I called tech support again and the rep did not know what I was talking about, no idea what a "security key" was or what the Netgear device was (this is a major national company - they have nobody using these booster devices????)

In desperation I finally used my main password I set up with the phone company when I established the account. GUESS WHAT - !! That works!!  Of course had I been more careful with the Netgear account to write down the password somewhere I could find it, that would have avoided the entire problem.

Thank you to those of you who tried to assist, but nothing (including the manual) was of any help at all.  I really appreciate your time and effort, and am grateful for your support.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7