× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi Adapters Antennas for Tablets or Phones to Extend Range ?

Katmandu
Aspirant

WiFi Adapters Antennas for Tablets or Phones to Extend Range ?

I work in a large hospital that has Public WiFi hotspots in limited areas.

There is an area where we want to access a signal off one of these hotspots. The area has no or very weak signal right now.

Most folks have Android tablets or phones that use this area.

Is there a product available that will extend the signal or help amplify the hotspot signal for Androids ?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: WiFi Adapters Antennas for Tablets or Phones to Extend Range ?

Hi Katmandu,

Wireless extenders are like wireless clients that connects to any wireless networks and extends the signal. The extenders has admin page to configure the connection between the main router and the extender and configure the wireless settings to extend it. Just make sure that the public wifi does not ask for Authentication credentials like username and password since no option on the extender to input it. A simple network that only asks for wireless password will the extender works. The location of the extender should be an area with 50% or more signal strength to get the best performance.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi Katmandu,

Try to check the wireless extenders.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/

Message 2 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi Katmandu,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 8
Katmandu
Aspirant

Thank you all for your replies.

I've seen the WiFi Extenders from your links. However, there is very little Technical info on how they work. 

I need to know if these work on Android devices. If so, how does a consumer get them to work ? 

I work in a large hospital that has Public WiFi. The signal does NOT reach back to our breakroom.

The Public WiFi signal is just out of range for our devices to pick up. Maybe 75-100 feet away we get a signal.

Being a PUBLIC WiFi signal, GUEST users will not have access to the Admin function. This is needed on most Extenders to register a SSID. 

We want to find a way to extend our Android devices receiving capabilities via an antenna or extender of some sort.

Is this is even possible. If so, HOW do we do this ?

Message 4 of 8
Katmandu
Aspirant

This issue is not yet resolved.

I need Technical help on a Product not sent to a link with Products.

Can someone please answer my question in a Technical way ?

Where can I find Netgear Technical Help. Not Sales Help ?

Message 5 of 8
Katmandu
Aspirant

Hi James,

My issue has not be Solved even though some marked this issue as solved.

I've seen the WiFi Extenders from your links. However, there is very little Technical info on how they work. 

I need to know if these work on Android devices. If so, how does a consumer get them to work ? 

I work in a large hospital that has Public WiFi. The signal does NOT reach back to our breakroom.

The Public WiFi signal is just out of range for our devices to pick up. Maybe 75-100 feet away we get a signal.

Being a PUBLIC WiFi signal, GUEST users will not have access to the Admin function. This is needed on most Extenders to register a SSID. 

We want to find a way to extend our Android devices receiving capabilities via an antenna or extender of some sort.

Is this is even possible. If so, how do we do this ?

Message 6 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi Katmandu,

Wireless extenders are like wireless clients that connects to any wireless networks and extends the signal. The extenders has admin page to configure the connection between the main router and the extender and configure the wireless settings to extend it. Just make sure that the public wifi does not ask for Authentication credentials like username and password since no option on the extender to input it. A simple network that only asks for wireless password will the extender works. The location of the extender should be an area with 50% or more signal strength to get the best performance.

Message 7 of 8
Katmandu
Aspirant

Thank you James.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7