× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi adapter A6100 help

Frantelle
Aspirant

Wifi adapter A6100 help

Hi. I bought the a6100 wifi adapter about a year ago which I used, but since moved house and used Ethernet connection, but now need to use the Adapter again. Same PC, I plug in the adapter the genie pops up but won’t recognise the modem we use which is also nwtgear. I try to setup the “push n connect” but the led light isn’t coming on. Maybe the adapter is broken, but that doesn’t make much sense as my pc recognises it when plugged in...
Model: A6100|WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi adapter A6100 help

You put you're trying to connect to a netgear modem. If its a modem, there should be a router as well or at least it be a combo device. More info here will help. What netgear router are you conneting to? Firmware on it? 

What driver are you using for the adapter? Have you updated it recently? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/A6100.aspx

have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling? 

You can also connect via the windows network manager utility. Have you tried this? Or went in through this to forget the old settings? 

The link I gave you for the support site also has manual, installation guides, and troubleshooting. have you looked at that info? 

Message 2 of 9
Frantelle
Aspirant

Thanks for your help mate, I uninstalled and then fresh installed with updated drivers. I can now connect to my internet through the genie. The problem is though my internet settings is saying no internet, secured. Do you know what could be stopping this? I attached a pic to show what I’m getting. Also sorry for the lack of terminology etc I’m kind of out of the loop on these kinds of things.
Message 3 of 9
Frantelle
Aspirant

Won’t let me post picture -.-
Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

While doing the uninstall try following this procedure:

1. uninstall driver and software

2. unplug the usb device

3. reboot the computer

4. install the driver (and software if you prefer, you can just install the stand alone drive and let windows manage the software if you prefer)

5. plug the usb device in.

Did you do it this route?

If you log into your router (which is what?), does it show on the connected devices page? 

All your other devices are still working?

Message 5 of 9
Frantelle
Aspirant

No I didn’t do it exactly like that, just uninstalled everything inserted the CD and re installed. Shall I do it that way? Also I’m logged in on my router, but can’t find connected devices.. and yes my wifi is working on my phone, PS4 etc.
Message 6 of 9
Frantelle
Aspirant

My router login is 192.168.0.1
Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

I would do it the way I suggest. Also don't use the cd. download the software from netgear's support site I linked to. Just use that. 

You don't put what router you're using so its hard to tell you where your  connected pages would be. Its manual should have it. But if you can log into the router from the computer running the A6100, its working. Just something is a slighly off. 

Try the reinstall and reboot your router as well. 

Message 8 of 9

@Frantelle wrote:
The problem is though my internet settings is saying no internet, secured.

Is that in Windows?

My first guess is that you need to tell Windows that you are on a "private network".

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status
  • Change Connection Properties
  • Network Profile
  • Private

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements