× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi adapter A6100 lag spikes / disconnecting

VKennisovitch
Aspirant

Wifi adapter A6100 lag spikes / disconnecting

Hi,

I have bought a computer on a store online last month and I needed to buy a USB wireless adapter so I bought this A6100 WiFi USB Adapter. Since I've been able to connect to the internet, I've noticed a lot of lag spikes ( from 75ms to 500+ for a couple seconds) that I did not have on my laptop, even though the quality of the signal is Excellent . Also when I turn on my computer, there is a big chance I can connect to my router but not to the internet. Everytime this happens, I simply do a right-click / troubleshoot problems and the same errore appears 9 times out of 10 : There is a missing protocole on the computer.

I have tried updating my drivers but nothing works. If I want a replacement for this adapter, I obviously need to send it back to the store I bought it from which will probably take a couple of weeks but I can not wait this long and I have no other possibility to connect to my router ( no other USB adapter / no ethernet cable because I am a bit too far from the router).

By the way, I am using Windows 10.

Is there any miracle solution for me or should I definitely send my adapter back for a replacement ?

Thanks !

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
VKennisovitch
Aspirant

Re: Wifi adapter A6100 lag spikes / disconnecting

I have decided to buy a cable and everything works fine now. The adapter was faulty since the beggining... I will send it back to the shop where I bought it and try to get a refund or at least a replacement..

Thanks for your help !

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi VKennisovitch,

Is your laptop Windows 10 as well? If yes, try to install the adapter on the laptop and observe the connection. Make sure that the driver installed is for Windows 10.

http://support.netgear.com/product/A6100

Message 2 of 7
VKennisovitch
Aspirant

Hi,

I have tried on my laptop and there is no problem at all, not even lag spikes. However I tried plugging the adapter on different usb ports (front or back) of my desktop computer ( the one with problems) and still lag spikes...

I have already tried installing this driver and it just messes things up, I can't even connect to anything afterwards.

Message 3 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi VKennisovitch,

If the adapter works on the laptop without any lag spikes, then the problem must be with the computer. Try disabling any antivirus on the computer and reinstall the adapter.

Message 4 of 7
VKennisovitch
Aspirant

Hi,

I have tried this too, no improvement at all. I really don't know what is happening with this computer...

EDIT : I don't know what happened yesterday but I just tried again on my laptop, the adapter give me the same issue "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer".. This should mean that it's not my computer but the adapter that malfunctions, right ?

Message 5 of 7
VKennisovitch
Aspirant

I have decided to buy a cable and everything works fine now. The adapter was faulty since the beggining... I will send it back to the shop where I bought it and try to get a refund or at least a replacement..

Thanks for your help !

Message 6 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi Vkennisovitch,

You can try to ask for replacement for the adapter.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7