× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi help!

Codybuts
Aspirant

Wifi help!

Hi, I owned a tp link 1200ac powerline $150, gave me good wifi in garage, I upgraded my internet to 120, I bought orbi and now I get 5-20 speeds in my garage .

Router in basement against wall closest to garage, satellite 1 main floor living room and satellite 2 in garage..I'm only getting poor signal on satellite 2 in the garage, how can I get better wifi..should I have bought a better tp powerline instead?? I want seamless connection from inside to outside in my garage..

Using my modem along with the orbi system at the moment..great speeds inside 100+ , I have alot of wifi cameras.

Please help!
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi help!

Anyway to place your main router on the main level? Basement walls usually are concrete/block and excellent at blocking signal. You'd be better to have the main router on the main level with the satellites in basement/garage. 

Do you have daisy chain enabled? 

Another option to try is leave the tp-link powerline plugged in and use it to setup the orbi with wired backhaul. Not sure what your garage wall material is but it could be doing an excellent job of blocking signal. 

Message 2 of 5
Codybuts
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply..my whole house is brick to be honest..it's a small 1000 sq ft bungalow with a basement and upstairs..this device covers 5000 sq ft..I shouldn't have a problem..my satellite is like 15-20 ft max to the garage and is right inside the door with the router against the wall in the basement . I haven't touched any settings I plan to try changing the channel but fear it won't work
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@Codybuts wrote:
Thanks for the reply..my whole house is brick to be honest..it's a small 1000 sq ft bungalow with a basement and upstairs..this device covers 5000 sq ft..I shouldn't have a problem..my satellite is like 15-20 ft max to the garage and is right inside the door with the router against the wall in the basement . I haven't touched any settings I plan to try changing the channel but fear it won't work

Brick walls too? Even though it covers 5000 sq ft, thats under optimal conditions. I have a 3200 sq ft house and I'm running  rbr50 + 2x rbs50's and a rbs50y.  You're house is smaller but like I said, brick and concrete kill wifi signals significantly more than wood/sheetrock.  This is going to kill the wireless backhaul. 

You're a little close if you plan on devices switching from router to satellite. The 30 ft recommendation is for seperation of of router/satellites so they can dynamically switch.

If it was me,  I'd use your old powerline to hardwire in the orbi. Or run an ethernet cable. 

Message 4 of 5
Codybuts
Aspirant

I seem to have it working in the garage now..Netflix etc seems to load everything fine.. but speeds tests coming in at 4-15 mbps.. is there anything I can do
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7