× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi utility won't open AC1200

patrick1962
Aspirant

Wifi utility won't open AC1200

I installed NETGEAR AC1200 Model A6210 USB 3.0 wireless adapter. The install was a bit cumbersome because I could not get windows 10 to indicate the wireless antenna was connected.  I kept getting a popup sating, plug in adapter.  Even after restart, no luck. As a final point I went into the Wi-Fi setting, (Settings>Network Internet>Wi-Fi>Show Available Networks) and my private network did show up. I clicked connect, added my password and all set.  I wanted to use the desktop utility but it will not open. I have the most current drivers from NETGEAR’s website. Any ideas how to get the utility to open? Wi-Fi works, just not the utility. 

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

The utility that comes with these USB adaptors doesn't do much that you can't do elsewhere. But if it won't run, that suggests something amiss with the original installation.

Some of the things you want to do will work with the Netgear desktop genie.

If you want the desktop genie for Windows start here:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

You may have to dismiss an annoying pop-up that tries to push a mobile app down your throat.

Firmware updates and the like are really best done from the support pages for your hardware.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

Anything done over wifi adds another step where things can go wrong.

@patrick1962 wrote:

When I downloaded the drivers, one said drivers for stand-alone and the other stated drivers with utility. The number of the driver is A6210_v1.0.0.32. 

That doesn't seem to be the latest:

A6210 Software Version 1.0.0.39 | Answer | NETGEAR Support 

By the way AC1200 isn't really the thing to look for.

AC1200 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Unfortunately, in the case of wifi devices, Netgear also uses AC to denote model numbers.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies

@patrick1962 wrote:

I wanted to use the desktop utility but it will not open.

Which utility is that?

Message 2 of 5
patrick1962
Aspirant

The website didn't specifically say with which utility but based on the directions included with the drivers, its a Network Genie.  When I downloaded the drivers, one said drivers for stand-alone and the other stated drivers with utility. The number of the driver is A6210_v1.0.0.32.  I wanted to use it for updates, firmware, view packets, easily join other networks, etc....  

Message 3 of 5

The utility that comes with these USB adaptors doesn't do much that you can't do elsewhere. But if it won't run, that suggests something amiss with the original installation.

Some of the things you want to do will work with the Netgear desktop genie.

If you want the desktop genie for Windows start here:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

You may have to dismiss an annoying pop-up that tries to push a mobile app down your throat.

Firmware updates and the like are really best done from the support pages for your hardware.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

Anything done over wifi adds another step where things can go wrong.

@patrick1962 wrote:

When I downloaded the drivers, one said drivers for stand-alone and the other stated drivers with utility. The number of the driver is A6210_v1.0.0.32. 

That doesn't seem to be the latest:

A6210 Software Version 1.0.0.39 | Answer | NETGEAR Support 

By the way AC1200 isn't really the thing to look for.

AC1200 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Unfortunately, in the case of wifi devices, Netgear also uses AC to denote model numbers.

Message 4 of 5
patrick1962
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. It was the wrong drivers just as you said. Uninstalled old, added the new you suggested and everything works. Thanks again! Your awesome! 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7