× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi

Kikolo7
Aspirant

Wifi

So I recently bought a smart tv , I’m using WiFi from my portable device . Also my roommate has a portable device , I’m tired of going to the tv configuration to select my device for the WiFi because it doesn’t do it automatically . What can I buy to have next to my tv and connect automatically when I come home or my roommate when I’m not home .
Message 1 of 5

@Kikolo7 wrote:
I’m tired of going to the tv configuration to select my device for the WiFi because it doesn’t do it automatically .

Sounds like a problem with the TV. If you are not changing the wifi settings from whatever provides your wifi, then see if you can fix the TV.

Is there any reason why you have posted your message in the section for wifi adapters? They don't work on TVs.

What Netgear hardware are you using?

What is the make and model of the TV?

Message 2 of 5
Kikolo7
Aspirant

I don’t have anything yet, I was trying find the best solution. And buy from net gear . The tv is brand new it’s a Sony kd-55x7000f. Nothing is wrong with the tv. So here in Kuwait , we carry portable WiFi, or some call it a (brick) . My roommate and I share the tv, but because the tv only connects one device at a time , if he leaves and it’s connected to his device , it does not connect to my device automatically. Can I use a access point or extender to be always connected to the tv? And have the devices connected to the extenders or access point ?
Message 3 of 5

@Kikolo7 wrote:
My roommate and I share the tv, but because the tv only connects one device at a time , if he leaves and it’s connected to his device , it does not connect to my device automatically.

I am still confused. Are you connecting to different wifi sources? The usual thing is to connect the TV to the internet service without putting anything in the middle. Why does the TV need to connect to your friend's device? What is this "device"?

If the TV sometimes connects to one wifi source and sometimes to a different wifi source, I wouldn't expect a TV to handle that automatically.

@Kikolo7 wrote:
Can I use a access point or extender to be always connected to the tv? And have the devices connected to the extenders or access point ?

How would the access point/extender connect to the Internet?

If the TV has a wired LAN port on the back, then connecting it to whatever delivers the Internet would be the easiest option. I use Powerline Ethernet to connect my devices to the router. More reliable and easier than wifi.

Message 4 of 5
Kikolo7
Aspirant

Yes , we both carry different devices . Here in Kuwait , we carry portable WiFi. I understand that , I wouldn’t expect my tv to automatically change Device names, my Mac book does . Cable is not used here . I just wonder if netgear has a device that’s always connected and always searching for a net work when disconnected, if I come home or him , it connects automatically to our device .
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7