× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Windows 10 (A6100 A6200 A6210) Installation Heads Up

paradeigmas
Tutor

Windows 10 (A6100 A6200 A6210) Installation Heads Up

As a heads up, DO NOT install Netgear's driver package for your A6xxx device on Windows 10.  It permanently removes Windows 10’s ability to access the WiFi Connections list.

Instead, use the default driver that comes with Windows 10, of which will freeze when you try to connect to networks until you complete the installation of Intel’s new Chipset Drivers here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-

If that still doesn’t work for you, try the following:

Go to Network List, select the network you are trying to connect to, hit “Connect”, you should see “enter password” box and also a message about using WPS to connect, then instead of entering the password go hit the WPS button on your router.

Your adapter should connect and function completely now.

Message 1 of 278

Accepted Solutions
Chosey
Initiate

Re: Windows 10 (A6100 A6200 A6210) Installation Heads Up

For problems with the windows 10 included driver with the a6210 (e.g. no 5ghz networks visible) just use the latest driver from mediatek (5.1.21.0)

It is the newer version of the driver that came with windows 10 and with it i can join my 5ghz wlan, which wasnt able with the old one!

The chip in the A6210 is a Mediatek MT7612U.

http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads1/downloads/usb/

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 278

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for that pardeigmas, do you know if it is absolutely necessary to use WPS, is manual configuration not working?

Message 2 of 278
paradeigmas
Tutor

No problem, just trying to share my experience.  Unfortunately I was unable to single out the cause, but prior to installing the chipset drivers, typing in the password for the Access Point will cause the system to freeze.  I installed the chipset drivers and then used the WPS button and miraculously it worked.  

One thing is for sure, the current driver posted on Netgear's webside causes havoc in Windows 10.

Message 3 of 278
Zachary0512
Aspirant

What should we do if we have already installed the netgear drivers and "permanently" ruined windows 10's ability to access wifi networks? Do I have to revert back to windows 7, uninstall the adapter device itself, and then reinstall windows 10, and reinstall the device? Detailed instructions would be very helpfull

Message 4 of 278
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I will bring this to the attention of Netgear.
Message 5 of 278
UMDTERPS
Apprentice

Windows 10 wont even recognize my A6210 any more.

Message 6 of 278
paradeigmas
Tutor

Okay, a few ways you can fix the problem:

1.  System restore Windows 10 prior to driver installation, then go to step 7.

If System Restore is not available:

2.  Backup your files

3.  Right click on This PC and see if your Windows 10 is "Activated," if not, activate it to register your hardware ID with MSFT so that your computer becomes permenantly activated for Windows 10.

3.  Go to Start -> Settings -> Recovery, Restore, Reset

4.  Reset Windows

5.  Do not keep anything

6.  Start

Once complete:

7.  Windows should now be able to find Wifi Hotspots, but don't connect yet.  If no networks are listed, go to step 2.

8.  Go to the intel link above and install your Chipset Drivers for Windows 10.

9.  Reboot

10.  Open Wifi Connections list, click on the one you would like to connect to.

11.  Click "Connect"

12.  It will ask for your password, don't type anything, and run to your router and click the WPS button.

13.  It should be connected and functional properly now.

If above instructions did not work for you, I'm sorry as this is the process I used to solve the issue on my system.  Good luck.

Message 7 of 278
x2mjokada
Initiate

Hi,

I also had the unfortunate luck of installing the Netgear drivers during my upgrade to Windows 10 and had issues with wifi freezing up the system. Wish I would've seen this thread before upgrading to Win 10.

Anyway, the way I fixed this problem was by rebooting my system into SAFE MODE.  Once in SAFE MODE, I went into the DEVICE MANAGER, looked for the A6210 adapter under NETWORK ADAPTERS, right-clicked on the adapter and uninstalled.  I also checked the box to uninstall the drivers for this adapter.  Once the adapter was uninstalled from the system, I rebooted back into Windows with the adapter still connected.  As soon as I got back into the Windows 10 desktop, I was able to click on the Wireless icon in the system tray with the system would no longer freezing up, and finally showing me a list of available networks to connect to.

The problem I am still having though, is that I can only see the 2.4GHz networks and not my 5GHz network which I was previously using with no problems in Windows 8.1 before the upgrade.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that the WiFi adapter can see and connect to the 5GHz networks without installing the NETGEAR drivers that cause Windows 10 issues?

Thanks

Message 8 of 278
tonsit
Initiate

I do not have intel anything, would this be the same case for an AMD set up? I already installed the drivers and I can see connections, but I am constantly losing WiFi connectivity until I re-seat my USB dongle. This is the furthest I have been able to get while connected... and I am tempted to connect via an ethernet cable strewn across my apartment. I must say I am very disappointed that I can't connect to my Netgear router with a Netgear dongle which are both supposedly "Windows 10 compatible." I am beyond the length of time for phone or live chat, so I am tempted to buy some other companies hardware that is compatible with Windows10 rather than pay for support.

Message 9 of 278
AngryWifiMan
Guide

I was PULLING MY HAIR OUT, trying to wonder why I kept getting BAD_POOL_HEADERS (and it's difficult to discern because I'm a heavy overclocker). Turns out I did a crash dump and it was related to tcpip.sys. What a surprise, NETWORK RELATED. This has only begun on Windows 10, NO ISSUES on Windows 8.1. Here's another weird thing, I have it plugged into a USB 3.0 port but...

mr a6210 wifiz.png

That's weird, why is my Wifi adaptor working in USB 2.0 mode when it's in a USB 3.0 port (confirmed by checking with my SanDisk Cruzer Extreme which transfers at 3.0 speeds). My system WILL crash whenever putting the WiFi adaptor under load, so that means downloading a simple Ubuntu ISO via torrent is difficult. I first noticed this when downloading a game on Steam, I locked my PC, went to get a drink, came back and saw "BAD_POOL_HEADER". Please NETGEAR, I bought your product because you make good Wifi stuff, and I chose to go with you instead of ASUS; I know you can fix this!

Message 10 of 278
Chosey
Initiate

For problems with the windows 10 included driver with the a6210 (e.g. no 5ghz networks visible) just use the latest driver from mediatek (5.1.21.0)

It is the newer version of the driver that came with windows 10 and with it i can join my 5ghz wlan, which wasnt able with the old one!

The chip in the A6210 is a Mediatek MT7612U.

http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads1/downloads/usb/

Message 11 of 278
UMDTERPS
Apprentice

I boot in safe mode, but NONE of my keyboards will work...so now I'm stuck in safe mode./

Message 12 of 278
UMDTERPS
Apprentice

I used this method:

http://www.7tutorials.com/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Now I'm permantely stuck, OMG.

Message 13 of 278
AngryWifiMan
Guide

Try removing your keyboard and putting it back in.

Message 14 of 278
UMDTERPS
Apprentice

That the firs thing I tired.  The keyboard works for login, but fails after boot.  I even tried a PS/2 keyboard same issue. I don't know what to do...

Message 15 of 278
AngryWifiMan
Guide

Seems like your USB drivers are playing up. Might want to do a fresh install of Windows and remember to install the Intel Chipset drivers to eliminate them as a source of error.

Message 16 of 278
UMDTERPS
Apprentice

I was able to get the keyboard working.  I have to press each key individually. Also, the search bar does not work in Safe mode, so you have to click through.  I can can confirm deleting the drivers in Safe mode and installin the new media tek drivers for intel boards works.

Thanks

Message 17 of 278
Solus
Initiate

After 2 days of headache over this mess of an adapter I figured out the fastest way to get this working. These files are for manually installing the drivers.

Download this file from here :https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0YLhDgxgUO3VGVQbERVMVJZOHc

-Unzip file

-Go into device manager

-Right click on the a6200 and then select update driver

-Select browse my computer

-Navigate to where you unzipped the download

-Select the driver folder

-Done!

This adapter has been a nightmare to install in every version of windows. Hope this helps someone. 

Message 18 of 278
AngryWifiMan
Guide

With Chosey's fix I still get BSoD and driver errors during heavy bandwidth utilisation and torrenting. Will be trying Solus' method tomorrow (after I've tested system stability thoroughly).

Message 19 of 278
bachastain
Tutor

My A6210 was nonfunctional after upgrading to Windows 10 as described in this thread.  I could get a list of SSIDs, but not attach to any of them.  Attempting to do so would hang the connection until rebooted.  I tried everything in this thread and nothing worked. 

The Windows 10 driver didn't work and the latest driver (for Windows 10) from the Netgear site didn't work.  I finally found yet another even newer version at the previously mentioned Mediatek website: http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads1/downloads/usb/

IS_Setup_ICS_050615_1.5.39.126.exe is the one that finally fixed me.

Bruce.

Message 20 of 278
Chosey
Initiate

Wow amazing, where the hell did you find this new driver?

Oh wait, maybe in Post #11 of me in this thread? 😄

Your link is exactly the same as i postet before ^^

Message 21 of 278
AngryWifiMan
Guide

I fixed my BSoDs by installing Software Version 1.0.0.28. I did this by:

1) Unplugging my A6210.
2) Going into device manager, click "show hidden devices", right click on the Wifi adapter and click "delete this software" box and click OK.
3) Install the drivers and plug in my A6210 when it asks. Click cancel on the prompt when it appears again (the A6210 won't be recognised).
4) Go into device manager and click "scan for hardware", which then installs the A6210.

4) Go to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930, download the update hider and run it. Choose to hide the new wifi update (THIS WILL CAUSE ISSUES, HENCE WE ARE HIDING IT).

5) Success. I can now play MMOs, Torrent, watch NETFLIX, all without BSoDs.

Message 22 of 278
Bonercycle
Tutor

Downloaded the Media tek driver, uninstaled the adapater. Turned off automatic driver installation. Plugged back in, manually selected the Feb 15 Mediatek driver. Still won't connect, hangs after I put in the password. I'm losing my mind over this. Netgear, you need to help.
Message 23 of 278
DrBill
Aspirant

Lenovo Yoga 11s, realtec single band wifi adaptor

After windows 10 upgrade,  A6100 was non functional (had been fine in wiindows 8.1), but stock single band adaptor worked. In Device Manager, right clicked A6100, selected "update driver software",  BOTH adaptors crashed, no connectivity!

In device manager I deleted both adaptors, then right clicked on (now empty) Network Adaptors heading, selected "scan for hardware changes", both adaptors installed and functional.

No problems since, have inactivated stock adaptor, A6100 chugging along fine.

Life is good.

Message 24 of 278
mdoc7
Tutor

I don't have this problem, though it did exhibit a problem connecting to my wireless router (no connection to Internet).  (I'm using A6200.)  The solution:  With the computer on, simply remove the A6200 from the USB port, wait a sec and then plug it back in.  Works after installation of Win 10.

Message 25 of 278
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7