× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Windows 10 (A6100 A6200 A6210) Installation Heads Up

Re: Windows 10 (A6100 A6200 A6210) Installation Heads Up

This is pretty dang silly. I've watched this board for well over week now waiting and hoping an update would come each night, I can't believe no one at this company hasn't been affected by this.  I've enjoyed my Netgear router and the a6210 was a heaven send, I planned on just getting an AC card, but tried it out and loved the speed. Now that the most widely used operating system has been updated (which a secret to no one) I can no longer use the 5Ghz connection. I've got an AMD 8350, which seems to be my downfall per this thread, but I feel like I'm being punished by Netgear.

Sincerely,

Update4WinX(and get your sh^t together)

Message 51 of 278
zmaniacz
Guide

Adding my name to those with issues.  My A6210 will connect, but the connection is wildly unstable.  I can sit and watch my desktop ping my router and 5 or 8 packets will drop out at a time, followed by a string of 10 or 20 good ones.  Sometimes the connection drops out completely for 30 seconds or so.

Windows 10, installed the mediaTek drivers and updated my intel chipset drivers to latest.

Message 52 of 278
UMDTERPS
Apprentice

The Asus USB AC55 has a Windows 10 Driver out (Reviews are not great):

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBAC55/HelpDesk_Download/

If My netgear eperiences issues of dropped packets after by pc motherboard rebuild I will get a powerline adpater and be done with this crap:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/414078/Powerline_500_AV_Nano_Adapter_Kit

Message 53 of 278
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Netgear have been working on Windows 10 compatibility for quite some time, please see here;

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29490/~/netgear-product-support-for-microsoft-windows-...

However it’s very difficult to develop and test for all computer configurations, especially where Windows 10 has been updated from an existing OS version as compared to a fresh install.

So, Netgear are quite aware of the issues highlighted in this thread and others and are very actively working to resolve those issues.

To assist in the most rapid and complete solutions Netgear engineers would be most grateful if people could provide some specific information. This thread is now somewhat confused as it deals with three different adaptors, and each has its own driver.

Please answer as much of the following as possible in a reply to this thread;

1. What model of adaptor are you having issues with?
  2. Is the Win10 install a fresh install or an upgrade?
  3. If an upgrade, from what version of Windows?
  4. What is the H/W model of the PC/tablet/netbook?
  5. What driver version are you attempting to install?
  6. Did you try installing with AV / Firewall disabled?
  7. What error messages do you see?
  8. If no error messages what failure of functionality do you see?
Message 54 of 278
USMCP8TRIOT
Guide

I have the following setup

Netgear A6210 Wifi USB adapter

Windows 10 Home edition 64bit (fresh installed currently, Originally it was an upgrade from Windows 7 Premium 64bit) Performed a Restore function after problems with Netgear drivers.

Custom PC with ASUS M5A97 V2.0 Motherboard and an AMD FX(tm) 8320 eight core processor

8GB Ram

Unsure which version of the Netgear driver i attempted to install as my Restore function in windows wiped out the downloaded files

I do know that it was whatever version was available as the most current on the netgear website on August 2nd.

I received no error message

While in the upgrade process from Win 7 to 10, I could not completed the upgrade as the upgrade could not proceed past the login screen after the first restart of the PC. contacted Microsoft and was told to perform a fresh install of Win7. Wiped hard drive, installed win 7 and loaded all current drivers and software for running PC only. then attempted to upgrade again to Win 10. Again it stalled at the login screen after reboot during installation. Tried a couple of things and ended up removing all peripherals including the a6210 from my system, Login screen then proceeded and was able to finish the install. Tried to uninstall the old netgear genie and installed the one rated for Win10 and it never said finished, the window closed after i got to the point it says to insert the USB adapter. It would never go beyond that point. I could also not open Netgear Genie even after a reboot. I also lost all ability to see networks in my wifi connections list. I decided to RESTORE windows at that point and since, have not even attempted to try to run my a6210 and have just used an ethernet connection until the drivers are fixed.

Message 55 of 278
DaveyG
Guide

I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit edition

PC Spec

Asus Crosshair V Formula Z 990FX AMD

AMD FX8950 CPU

OCZ Vertex 4 SSD

Nvidia Gforce GTX780ti

Wireless Card is the A6200

Upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit initially, PC hung on login screen.

A6200 was installed using the Genie interface.

I then did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and installed the latest A6200 driver from Netgear and the Genie.

The Network card can see and login to the network but constantly cycles between connected / disconnected.

Connection speed was typically 870 MB/s prior to the Windows 10 installation.

Currently usng the internal nic to connect via a old Netgear range extender.

Message 56 of 278
zmaniacz
Guide

1. What model of adaptor are you having issues with? A6210
  2. Is the Win10 install a fresh install or an upgrade? Upgrade Windows 8.1->Win 10 Technical Preview (Various Versions) -> Window 10 Pro 64-bit
  3. If an upgrade, from what version of Windows? Windows 8.1/Winows 10 TP
  4. What is the H/W model of the PC/tablet/netbook? Custom, MSI Z97S Krait motherboard, Intel i5 4590
  5. What driver version are you attempting to install? 1.0.0.30 and 1.0.0.28 and latest MediaTek - All present issues
  6. Did you try installing with AV / Firewall disabled? No AV/Firewall
  7. What error messages do you see? No error messages
  8. If no error messages what failure of functionality do you see? Unstable Wi-Fi connection, regardless of 2.4g or 5g.  With a constant ping running to my router, will see lots of dropped packets and occasionally loss of connection completely.  No pattern that I can discern.  Have tried turning off various power management features for the deivce.
Message 57 of 278
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks to those people posting the useful information above, I have asked that engineering review the data to help find solutions.

I’ve had some feedback from engineering, could those people having issues with the A6200 and A6210 please try the following instructions which include the need to update the USB host controller;

A6210 – USB 3.0

A6200 – USB 2.0

EDIT - Additional Info

For A6210 installation, user must run NTGR software “setup.exe” first then follow instruction on the GUI and insert A6210 hardware.

If user doesn’t follow this and insert A6210 first, then the win10 MTK built-in driver will detect the hardware and install it, then user faces the 5G not working issue. 

Upgrade from win7 to win 10

1. Users must upgrade the USB host controller driver as well, especially for A6210 product which uses USB3.0.
  2. User must uninstall the old NTGR software and install the software downloaded from NTGR website again. This is because the win7 driver structure is different from win10, so win 7 adapter driver can’t run on win10.
  3. For A6210, if some users install MTK win10 built-in driver, users may face 5G can’t be used issue. Users must follow attached documents to uninstall the MTK driver first, then use NTGR software to do the installation again. Please DO run the NTGR software setup.exe first and follow on-screen instruction to insert USB adapter later. Please DO NOT insert A6210 adapter first, then run the setup.exe. The attached document was provided by A6210 developers.

Upgrade from win8 to win 10

1. User may need to upgrade USB host controller first. Then re-install NTGR software.
  2. For A6210, if some users install MTK win10 built-in driver, users may face 5G can’t be used issue. Users must follow attached documents to uninstall the MTK driver first, then use NTGR software to do the installation again. Please DO run the NTGR software setup.exe first and follow on-screen instruction to insert USB adapter later. Please DO NOT insert A6210 adapter first, then run the setup.exe.

EDIT: Please note that the document referred to above has been temporarily removed pending a review / update.

Message 58 of 278
zmaniacz
Guide

Will try the driver uninstall/reinstall process.

I have a suspicion it may have something to do with a KB pushed by MS on 8/5:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081424

I was using the Win10 Tech Preview for months with no issues, and started getting the instability about a week ago.  Seems like it might coincide with that update.

Message 59 of 278
Zhortac
Initiate

I have a A6210, and I can't use Windows 10 on my PC. IF I use the drivers from netgear, I can't find or connect to any access point. If I use the default drivers for windows 10, it causes the OS to crash over and over and over again.

Message 60 of 278
dug_less
Tutor

For those of you that are having issues with disconnects and dropoffs with the MediaTek driver, you need to go to the adapter properties and set region codes for 2.4 and 5 ghz. USA would be region code 0, roaming sensitivity to disable, enable prefer 5G, multimedia/gaming disable, AP Mode Force disable, IEEE802.11h disable. I have also set mine to connect at 5G only. Rock solid with no issues.

Message 61 of 278
Teck1015
Aspirant

What model of adapter are you having issues with?
A6200

Is the Win10 install a fresh install or an upgrade?
Upgrade

If an upgrade, from what version of Windows?
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

What is the H/W model of the PC/tablet/netbook?
Custom Build, (iBUYPower PC)

What driver version are you attempting to install?
V1.0.0.35

Did you try installing with AV / Firewall disabled?
Yes, both Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, and Webroot Security Anywhere.

What error messages do you see?
When running the troubleshooter the common error is as follows: "The default gateway is not available"

If no error messages what failure of functionality do you see?
Intermittent disconnection of 5.0Ghz Wifi internet comnection.
Message 62 of 278
zmaniacz
Guide

Thanks dug_less.  I had my settings exactly the same except for having it set to 2.4g + 5g.  Since my network is only 2.4g, I set it to that and have been rock solid for an hour, which is a huge improvement.  Seems to suggest a problem lies in the frequencey roaming.  Maybe when the N tries to look for a 5g connection to glom onto in addition to the 2.4.

Message 63 of 278
UMDTERPS
Apprentice

zmaniacz,

Please keep us posted within the next few days on how this fix works.  I should have my PC motherboard upgrade completed by them.  My pc is in the basement (no ethernet) I have to make a decsion on whether to get a powerline adapter.

Thanks

Message 64 of 278
steve1954
Aspirant

My adapter keeps disconnecting after a period of time (time varies). Also, does not reconnect after a "reboot," only a full shutdown and restart. I can pull the adapter from the cradle and reinsert after 10-15 seconds and it reconnect just fine.

1. A6200 on a R6200 router

2. Win 10 home was upgrade

3. Home

4. Dell computer with i5

5. v. 35

6.  A/V and FW were enabled

7. No error

8. Does not stay connected

Message 65 of 278
zmaniacz
Guide

Well turns out the instabilities aren't completely gone: http://i.imgur.com/WU9rzbH.png

I'm getting fewer actual request timed out packets, btu still lots that are taking 3-4 seconds.

Going to try the Netgear recommended approach next and use a similar set of settings as dug_less provided.

Message 66 of 278
UMDTERPS
Apprentice

ugh, I was hoping this wouldn't happen (the fix that's been floated around). Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad

I guess I'm off to microcenter for a powerline adapter...

Message 67 of 278
Dustrega
Star

To assist in the most rapid and complete solutions Netgear engineers would be most grateful if people could provide some specific information. This thread is now somewhat confused as it deals with three different adaptors, and each has its own driver.

1. A6200

2. Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

3. Updated from Windows 7 Ultimate

4. Custom Desktop PC w/ ASUS Z-37 Plus Intel Motherboard (DXDiag information)

5. All Windows 10 compatible driver versions both standalone and with Genie software

6. AV / Firewall were both disabled during install attempts

7. No errors,drivers will install and device will show up in Device Manager, and networks are discoverable.

8. Device will intermittently disconnect from wireless network at random (router has been ruled out as other wireless devices stay connected on both 2.4 and 5 GHz frequencies). Event 10400 prevalent in Windows System Event Viewer when disconnection occurs.

Thank you Andy for this response and Darren for responding to my separate thread. I hope my information and hours of info gathering are of benefit.

Message 68 of 278
merwin88
Aspirant

If you have the driver installed, reboot windows into safe mode. Go to device manager, uninstall your network adapter... And reboot. That saved my ass.
Message 69 of 278
UMDTERPS
Apprentice

So I am assuming no one in this thread has successfully found a fix that works? It appears all of the potencial fixes have issues?

Message 70 of 278
DarkNeuron
Tutor

Yeah I think thats about correct...

I just got an A6210, and I'm pretty appalled by the issues it has with Win10.

Personally I get dropped packets every once in a while. Rebooting fixes it for a while.

Message 71 of 278
dug_less
Tutor

UMDTERPS, This user of an A6210 has found a working solution. I have posted a few times in this thread how i was able to resolve my issues with the wifi adapter. I found that the most current MediaTek driver, and some changes to the adapter properties in the  driver settings have me working flawlessly. I can't speak for everyone, but I was able to resolve the problem and have shared this information in this forum thread.  

Message 72 of 278
stavers
Aspirant

@dug_less wrote:

UMDTERPS, This user of an A6210 has found a working solution. I have posted a few times in this thread how i was able to resolve my issues with the wifi adapter. I found that the most current MediaTek driver, and some changes to the adapter properties in the  driver settings have me working flawlessly. I can't speak for everyone, but I was able to resolve the problem and have shared this information in this forum thread.  

But unfortunately that solution does not appear to work for user with an AMD processor - only Intel.

Mine is working as a 2G adaptor with the standard Windows 10 drivers but nothing more.

Message 73 of 278
stavers
Aspirant

@Babylon5 wrote:

1: Netgear A6210

2: Upgrade

3: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

4: Custom built PC (Asus M3N-HT motherboard, AMD Phenom II Deneb x4 940 Black Edition, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia GeForce 9600 GSO 1.5Gb x2)

5: v1.0.0.30

6: With & without

7: None

8: No ac support, network drop-out

Message 74 of 278
Tatsu_Main
Guide

The Mediatek drivers are useless for AMD users though.

Message 75 of 278
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7