× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

a7000 on W10 desktop- keeps resetting itself to automatically connect- and a "new" hidden network"

callwill
Aspirant

a7000 on W10 desktop- keeps resetting itself to automatically connect- and a "new" hidden network"

A7000 usb 3.0 Adapter on W10 Desktop- driver from netgear site.   WNDR 3700 Router.

I have had minimal trouble with my netgear equipment since my first and only router(2009?), the WNDR 3700 that provides a good strong signal in my house and large county yard.  Looking to upgrade the router soon, now that some other issues are resolved- new modem(supplied) and cable run. Quite a few years ago i removed a faulty pci network adapter from my desktop and started using a WN111 usb adapter which has worked fine and may still get used on a laptop that seems to run into its own adapter issues. 

Last week a friend gave me his no longer used A7000. I down loaded and installed the drivers and adapter. the only issue i am unhappy with is its desire to automatically connect whenever i start my computer.

I have always set my adapter and network properties to not connect automatically and took a look in all the usual places for a clue...

Network and Sharing wireless properties- found that there were no boxes checked- including connect automatically- were checked  in the connections tab.  I looked in device manager for a network adapter issues and found none. Went through anything related in widows settings and i cannot find anything set to cause this issue.

On another note, after intalling this adapter a went from finding the 2.4 and 5g(like teh prior adapter) to finding a "hidden network" which also keeps setting itself to connect automatically-i chalk that up to me being unfamiliar with what this adapter is capable of- i cant believe its my my neighbors- as the closest is a football field away.

Any insights would be appreciated. I prefer to manually  start my connections after my computer is up and running...

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 10

Re: a7000 on W10 desktop- keeps resetting itself to automatically connect- and a "new" hid

Hard to tell from that long message, but is this the problem you are trying to fix?

@callwill wrote:

the only issue i am unhappy with is its desire to automatically connect whenever i start my computer.

If so, that sounds like a Windows problem.

The A7000 is just a wifi receiver. It doesn't try to connect to anything. That is in the hands of Windows.

It might help if you described what is trying "to automatically connect". Some sort of pop-up Window?

Here's one place to look:

• Network & Internet
  • Wifi
  • Manage Known Networks
  • Pick your SSID
  • Properties
  • Connect automatically when in range

@callwill wrote:

router(2009?), the WNDR 3700 that provides a good strong signal in my house and large county yard. 

If it works for you, fine, but the WNDR3700 is 11 years old and has basic and slow wifi.

Message 2 of 10
callwill
Aspirant

Re: a7000 on W10 desktop- keeps resetting itself to automatically connect- and a "new" hid

TY  for your response with all the possible places to look, some of those places  have already been examined, but i will be more methodical- and of course it would be simpler if Windows didnt take you to the sameplaces in so many different ways. Sometimes you arrive at a spot only to realize you just came back via a new route...  

I know that router is old, but it has worked fine and only recently have we considered upgrading. We will get a round to that in the next couple of months.  

I will try and pick apart all the places listed and try and find find where the problem is hiding over the next few days

First, though I think it is important to note that i have been using the WN111v2 up until now without this issue.  I changed nothing manually in any of the settings, but hopefully something will show up as i trace through settings. 

Message 3 of 10
callwill
Aspirant

I have been thru every windows setting i can find and cannot find anything to change the behavior i am experiencing.   When i was using the WN111v2, i had no issues. I could shut down while still connected to the network and when booted back up it would wait patiently for me to manually click on connect.  I never had to actually had to use the wifi button.  With the installation of this a7000, if i disconnect from the connected network, on reboot it automatiaclly connects. In order to remain disconnected on reboot, i need to use the wifi button and turn off wifi. At least i have a solution that i can live with. Its just not how it used to be.

Message 4 of 10

@callwill wrote:

I have been thru every windows setting i can find and cannot find anything to change the behavior i am experiencing. 

My guess is that there is a setting somewhere that you have not found. I have never seen this behaviour. If anything I have to work hard to get the PC to connect.

We don't know where you have looked for the right setting. You say you went thbrough the "all the places listed". There was just one place with instructions on how to get there. Maybe I should have used a better format.

Did you find this?

Wifi connection

Th hidden bit is my local wifi's SSID.

Message 5 of 10
callwill
Aspirant

Yes. Despite your stating "one place to look", i took that as a list to follow up on possible leads to somthing in my seach for some thing to change... Been there and any related setting i can find.

Message 6 of 10

@callwill wrote:

Yes. Despite your stating "one place to look", i took that as a list to follow up on possible leads to somthing in my seach for some thing to change... Been there and any related setting i can find.

I did day one place to look. Would this have been clearer?

>> Network & Internet >> Wifi >> Manage Known Networks >> Pick your SSID >> Properties >> Connect automatically when in range

You did say you had looked all over the pace. I assumed that you knew what you were doing.

You didn't say if you arrived at the screen I posted.

Wifi connection

Remember, this is done for the SSID, not the adapter.

Message 7 of 10
callwill
Aspirant

You asked..."Did you find this?"

I responded...  "Yes."...  "Been there and any related setting i can find."

I probably could have been a bit more definitive.

Message 8 of 10

Your problem is with Windows.

Netgear's USB devices have no control over this feature.

Message 9 of 10
callwill
Aspirant

Agreed and so far i have not found what/where it is. 

I will however point my finger towards the installation of the adapter driver, as up until then i was not having this issue.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7