× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: netgear ac1200 not reaching 1gbps speeds

jameskh31
Aspirant

netgear ac1200 not reaching 1gbps speeds

just as the title says, my netgear ac1200 is will not go over about 330mbps. I have AT&T 1000mbps internet and the wifi modem is 802.11ac capable and runs on 5g. Everything I have looked up says i should get the 1000mbps it is capable of, but i'm not. anyone have an answer??

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 7

is your device's WiFi card ready to support such speed?
if router speed is 1000mbps and if your device's wifi card supports only 350mbps you will never reach 1000mbps.

what's the wi-fi card of your device?

Message 2 of 7
jameskh31
Aspirant

Not sure I understand your question. I have the ac1200 wifi adapter, It connects me to the internet, without the adapter I can't access Internet. I have also hit 450mbps once before at a friend's house. My computer has the z390 aorus pro mother board.
Message 3 of 7

Is this your adapter: https://www.bestusbwifiadapters.com/images/ReviewofNetgearAC1200USBWiFiAdapter.jpg

questions:

1. do you connect your adapter to usb 2.0 or to usb 3.0+ port ?
  2. do you run nighthawk in 5GHz mode ? or maybe 5GHz+2.4GHz (so called "dual band" mode) ? you can see it under setup > wifi profiles section on nighthawk's configuration page
  3. if you run it in 5GHz + 2.4GHz, are you 100% sure that your PC is connected via 5GHz connection?
  4. if your PC is connected via 5GHz connection: go to nighthawk's configuration page and check setup > wireless section. Make sure that option "Bandwidth" is set to VHT80 (not HT40)
  5. At the end, please go to nighthawk's configuration page and check dashboard,you can see there indicator of mobile connection quality, do you see there 4G+ ? Screenshot for reference: https://i.imgur.com/6SipzR2.png 

Message 4 of 7
jameskh31
Aspirant

Yes that is my adapter and AT&T provided a wireless modem so I don't need a router. When I connect via Netgear wizard it tells me it is a 867mbps connection, but when I speed test it is 330 or less. Yes it is connected to 5g and I connect to USB 3.0 but I have tried 2.0 and it was slower. When I get home I'll check the connection to see if it's vth80 or not.
Message 5 of 7

@jameskh31 wrote:
Yes that is my adapter and AT&T provided a wireless modem so I don't need a router.

You do need a router. Without a router you would not have wifi.

It is just that your router is built into your modem. It is called a modem/router.

The questions is, what is the wifi capability of the router bit of your modem/router?

Can it work any faster than the speeds you get? Things like "802.11ac capable" aren't a reliable guide to real world performance.

Many of the modem/routers that come "free" from an Internet service provider are basic devices that are a long way from the cutting edge.

If you want to get the best speed out of your service, wire your PC to the router.

PS You have pretty well zero chance of getting your wifi to work at 1000Mbps.

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@jameskh31 wrote:
Yes that is my adapter and AT&T provided a wireless modem so I don't need a router. When I connect via Netgear wizard it tells me it is a 867mbps connection, but when I speed test it is 330 or less.

This is the max link rate a AC1200 clients (867 Mb/s on 5 GHz, and 300 Mb/s on 2.4 GHz can achieve. Different from wired Ethernet, this does (by far) not imply you will get this througput over wireless.

There are many factors ... Modulation/Coding aka PHY speed over distance from router ... MAC efficiency ... Interference. Everything is lowering the effective rate possible over the wireless link.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7