× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

slow netgear 6210 speeds

sgtkoolaid
Aspirant

slow netgear 6210 speeds

I am at my wits end not only did my nighthawk r7000 end up failing due to its inabiliy to work due to rampant firmware issues over the past several versions. I decided to go for an ASUS router that allows higher speeds, and more reliable network features. but seems my issues are still the same despite the fact my internet is capable of 600mbps up and down. yet I am barely able to hit 250mbps on download, but able to hit nearly 290mbps upload. so something is going on with the USB adapters inability to hit the 867mbps it is slated to be able to do under 5ghz speed. so what gives? I have tried to delete netgenie, and the drivers, and install the latest standalone drivers. it is also in my USB 3.0 slot on the back of my motherboard (GA-X99-UD4) the drivers are up to date. I have the latest window build. not sure what to do other than call it a wrap and buy a new better adapter. It sucks I have a product that not only doesn't do what it is advertised to do, but also that the company charges $150+ for real tech support. unless you guys can get this to work for me. I will throw it in the trash, and go elsewhere.

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 6

Re: slow netgear 6210 speeds

I'm lost in there. Can you take us back to the problem in hand?

Is it something to do with wifi speeds using a Netgear  A6210 adapter?

If you expect any wifi device to deliver 867 Mbps you are almost certainly out of luck. The adapter is only one link in the chain and that speed is theory rather than practice. The wifi clients at the receiving end are actually more important.

Maybe this is as fast as your wifi clients can go. Think of it like this, if you take an electric scooter to a Formula 1 racing track it will not magically keep up with Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes. It is the car that matters, not the racetrack.

Can you get better speeds with different wifi sources?

Here's a website that goes into the issue in excruciating detail:

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff.

Then there is this:

Why am I not getting the maximum speed that my router is capable of? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It is old but the message is still valid.

The only way to get a reliable test of the speed of the Internet on your router is to have a wired connection into a LAN ports. Even there you may find that different websites will deliver different speed results. (I usually check on half a dozen.) And it can change during the day depending on the traffic.

This may all be irrelevant. As I said, I am not sure that I understand your problem, with all that talk about different routers.

Message 2 of 6
sgtkoolaid
Aspirant

I know it won't go all the way to that speed, duh. but my ISP is capable of 600mb up 600mb down. while under wifi I won't always get all that depending on what is taxing the router, IT is clear that me getting half my speed, even despite changing channels, (went to 36 and seems no one is on that channel ) bringing the router closer (RT-AX58U) and orienting the antennas to point more directly to my wifi adapter (and orienting the adapter to as close to LOS as I can) there is something effecting it. it went up to 380mb/430mb so the adapter is clearly capable if it can saturate my upload. I already escalated my ticket for t he asus in case it is some issue related to a setting perhaps. but I know for a fact it should be able to hit speeds of near or at 600mb/s @5Ghz. I will read the links you provided. but I done a number of steps as stated to resolve this issue and nothing so far. I already moved onto a new router given the r7000 seems to be bricked. though I am going to see if I can do a manual update. any links on connecting a usb drive to it? so i can perhaps reset the firmware? and if it works Ican perhaps use it as a AP?

Message 3 of 6
sgtkoolaid
Aspirant

maybe i can use my r7000 as a hardwired AP? that is directly connected to my computer? since I need that to push my files (game development art etc) any good links to you recommend that shows me how to do that? I have CAT6 and Cat5E cables, or maybe I should just get a long 50 foot Cat 6 just so i can hard wire my main workstation pc lol thoughts? but with that said once again appreciate you providing some links.

Message 4 of 6

I can't understand that reply. The first "sentence", 100 words with things banging into one another, makes it impossible to follow what is happening.

Let's make it simple.

Your ISP can deliver 600 Mbps. What speed do you get when you wire your computer to the router. That is the only test that matters.

If you get 300 Mbps over wifi, that is a good speed for many devices. Nothing will make those devices go faster over wifi.

If you want your devices to operate at 600 Mbps wire them to the network.

The rest of your message is stream if consciousness that is equally hard to follow.

Break it up into manageable bits and you might get more sensible replied.

@sgtkoolaid wrote:

I already moved onto a new router given the r7000 seems to be bricked.

What does "bricked" mean to you? (Many people throw that term around indiscriminately.) What does the power LED look like when you turn the thing on? If it is white, it not not bricked.

@sgtkoolaid wrote:

any links on connecting a usb drive to it? so i can perhaps reset the firmware?

That is not the way to rescue a bricked router. This is:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This also explains how to tell Windows to use TFTP on your PC.

This isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it, you could try a web search to find videos that guide you through the process.

The good news is that TFTP has rescued many a dead device.

Message 5 of 6
sgtkoolaid
Aspirant

Feel free not to insult me. If you have trouble following then request a bit of clarification rather than the approach you used. I will look into using the link you provided and see if i can recover my router.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7