× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: which product do I need to add optional wifi to an ethernet modem?

PennyPlus
Aspirant

which product do I need to add optional wifi to an ethernet modem?

I am happy with my ethernet connection, but occasionally I would like to switch wifi on.  Which is the cheapest product that will do this?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
AlvaroIsaac
Guide

The cheapest way is FREE!  I did some research for you and found a nice how-to for turning your computer into a wireless hotspot.

How to Turn Your Windows PC Into a Wi-Fi Hotspot

Let me know if this helps.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Assuming that all you have is a pure modem, then what you need is a Wi-Fi router (link).

Message 2 of 6
AlvaroIsaac
Guide

To best answer this question, it would help to know more information regarding your ethernet modem.  For example, if it is a simple modem, then you need a router.  But if it is a combination modem router, then you can simply add a wireless access point. You could also use a USB Wifi adapter in a host computer to set up shared Wifi, but this is more complicated.

Message 3 of 6
PennyPlus
Aspirant

I have entered the model of the router I have got above.  Can you recommend a USB wifi adapter that I can plug in to my computer?  You say it is complicated.  How can I find out how to do this?

Thanks for your time

Model: DG834|ADSL Firewall Gateway
Message 4 of 6
AlvaroIsaac
Guide

The cheapest way is FREE!  I did some research for you and found a nice how-to for turning your computer into a wireless hotspot.

How to Turn Your Windows PC Into a Wi-Fi Hotspot

Let me know if this helps.

Message 5 of 6
PennyPlus
Aspirant

Thanks, this was really useful.  I went online and researched connectify for mac and found this link

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/38507/is-there-an-application-like-connectify-for-mac-os-x-...

It turns out I can already turn my computer into a wifi hotspot!

all the best,

Penny

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7