× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: wnda4100 windows 10 on desktop and laptop

kris68
Aspirant

wnda4100 windows 10 on desktop and laptop

Plugged the adapter into my desktop, inserted the intallation disk, got wifi and used it for about an hour and then shut it down.  Then when I started up again I couldn't get the wdna4100 to connect again.  Followed all the recommendations I could find (uninstalled all the software and drivers, downloaded the ones for windows 10, read everything I could find, but got nowhere).  The adapter works just fine on my laptop, but I don't need it to work on my laptop, I need it to work on my desktop.  Any ideas?

Model: WNDA4100|N900 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter|EOL
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
kris67
Aspirant

Got it! I think what worked was to reset the adapter and then uninstall all the drivers and reinstall new ones.  I tried so many things I'm not sure what actually worked, but I had something to do with installing new drivers.  Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @kris68

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

If the adapter works fine when connected to the laptop then adapter is good. 

What happen if it is plugged into the Windows 10 Desktop? Does the computer recognize the adapter? Does the adapter detects WiFi network? What is the error message when connecting to the network? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 6
kris67
Aspirant

@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi @kris68

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

If the adapter works fine when connected to the laptop then adapter is good. 

What happen if it is plugged into the Windows 10 Desktop? Does the computer recognize the adapter? Does the adapter detects WiFi network? What is the error message when connecting to the network? 

Thank you for helping me with this.  When  I plug it into my desktop computer I get nothing.  If I open Netgear Genie it doesn't recognize that the adapter is connected, so no wifi networks or error messages.  The first time I plugged it in to the same desktop the adapter connected to a wifi network all by itself, but I haven't been able to get it to connect on the desktop again.  Is it safe enough to post the sysinfo file here, or is that not a good idea?

Message 3 of 6
kris68
Aspirant

More information:  If the  wnda4100 adapter  is not plugged into my desktop then Netgear Genie won't launch, but if it is plugged in Genie does launch so the computer must recognize the adapter?

When the adapter is plugged into the desktop the lights on the adapter flash blue/orange/blue/orange, so it seems to be looking for the network but can't find it.  I'm sending this from my laptop , and it's connected to the same network the adapter is looking for.

The wnda4100 is looking for the signal from  a Netgear booster, which gets the signal wirelessly from a Nighthawk access point which is wired to a TP-LINK router, but the 4100 adapter can use that signal when it's connected to my laptop, so the problem seems to be with my desktop computer.

The adapter was able to find the network the first time I plugged it into my desktop, but then somehow lost the ability to do so after I restarted the computer.

Message 4 of 6
kris67
Aspirant

Got it! I think what worked was to reset the adapter and then uninstall all the drivers and reinstall new ones.  I tried so many things I'm not sure what actually worked, but I had something to do with installing new drivers.  Thank you for your help.

Message 5 of 6
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @kris67

Thank you for your feedback.  Glad that it's working now.   

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7