× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2 Routers

GInnes
Aspirant

2 Routers

I just purchased the R8000 and hard wired it to my Specttrum modem.  This is set in my basement  where the wires come into the house.  I then have a 2nd  Belkin 5G Modem connected to the Nighthawk by an approximately 100 foot ethernet cord.  It is located in my home office on a loft above my bedroom  (3rd floor equivalant).  I normally only have 3 or 4 devices  (phones/ tv but some times can bump that up top 7 or 8 when the Grand kids come over.   Is this the best way to set up or am i hurting and not helping by adding the Belkin.  If the double wireless Router is helpful is my set up the best or should I switch the two.  My interest is speed not coverage area.  I would normally think the better router should be high but since the the closest access is in the basement to the modem , I choose to do the opposite and put the new Nighthawk in the basement and keep the Old Belkin up in the office.   Does any of this really matter or am I trying tweak something that has no real effect?

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

1. What spectrum modem is it? 

2. You put R8000 in the post and ex8000 in your signature. is it the R8000?

3. What belkin is it? is it running in access point mode or router mode? 

If you're running 2 routers in router mode, you're probably in a double nat which can cause issues. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 2 of 6
GInnes
Aspirant

The spectrum Modem is an Arris Model TM1602A     The 2nd Router is a Belkin N600 DB Wireless N+ Mmodel F9K1102V2.  I have no idea which mode it is in but I assume Router since that was what I was using before the Nighthawk.  I have no idea how to check or change if necessary.  I looked at the link you gave me and see that if I can figure out how to modify the Belkin  it is suggesting that I put the belkin in the basement then the Nighthawk at the end of the chain in my office on the third floor.  My question then becomes:

1) will I loose signal going from the Belkin and traveling a 100 feet by ethernet cable to the office.  Isn't better to to have the stronger Nighthawk closer to the modem?  2) Can the Bridge be at the end of the chain?   In my office I only have my computer and printer  connected currently to the the Belkin? 3) In Bridge mode can Router recieve or am I essentially no longer able to connect to it except by ethernet cable?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

1) will I loose signal going from the Belkin and traveling a 100 feet by ethernet cable to the office.  Isn't better to to have the stronger Nighthawk closer to the modem?  2) Can the Bridge be at the end of the chain?   In my office I only have my computer and printer  connected currently to the the Belkin? 3) In Bridge mode can Router recieve or am I essentially no longer able to connect to it except by ethernet cable?

Here's what I'd do:

Modem------>netgear (better base router)------->belkin.

The netgear is the better router so have it after the modem in router mode. put the belkin in access point mode. 

100ft is a fine distance. cat5e can run up to 300ft. 

You can still have the printer and computer connected to the belkin in access point mode. Access point just shuts off the dhcp server of the router and makes all the devices on one subnet. 

Message 4 of 6
GInnes
Aspirant

Thats great  and what I was thinking about the order.  Now how do I tuen the Belkin into just an acess point

.  Any suggestions on wha hardwatre I would need add a wireless reciever that I could run an ethernet cable to a Tv that is not wireless and requires an ethernet  access for smart features?  It doesn't have wireless  and running a line is a problem  Thanks

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

You could try a powerline adapter. They work pretty good for situations like that. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7