× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2 routers on different networks setup

GS972
Aspirant

2 routers on different networks setup

MK63 — Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System
I have a complicated setup question for the Nighthawk Mesh MK63. I want to set up the Mesh in the following way.
IP addresses for example: 76.76.76.76 10.10.1.1
Arris Cable modem ->->-> Mesh router Wan port ->->-> Mesh router Lan port ->->-> GS308 unmanaged switch ->->
10.10.1.2 10.10.1.3
-> GS605 unmanaged switch ->->-> Mesh satellite Lan port - - - Mesh satellite WiFi

IP addresses for example: 10.10.1.4 10.10.2.1
GS308 unmanaged switch ->->-> Airport extreme 1 Wan port Airport extreme 1 Lan port ->->
-> Airport extreme 2 Wan port - - - Airport express 1 and 2 WiFi

The Airport extreme setup is what I currently have except instead of coming from the GS308 unmanaged switch it
comes directly from the Arris Cable modem. I have all of my home control/Alexa, security, video, music, game
consoles and computers on the same network currently. I also have a guest network setup. I am trying to separate
some of the computers from everything else for work security reasons.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
GS972
Aspirant

Re: 2 routers on different networks setup

I'll answer my own question. After some trial and error I found it is not possible because the AirPort Extreme is not configurable enough. When you connect to the extreme it will only work in bridge mode.  To get around this I connected a dynex 401 router to the Netgear lan port and setup the second network.  Then put the 2 extremes in bridge mode and created the separate wireless network and guest network. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
GS972
Aspirant

Re: 2 routers on different networks setup

I'll answer my own question. After some trial and error I found it is not possible because the AirPort Extreme is not configurable enough. When you connect to the extreme it will only work in bridge mode.  To get around this I connected a dynex 401 router to the Netgear lan port and setup the second network.  Then put the 2 extremes in bridge mode and created the separate wireless network and guest network. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7