× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2x r7800 in mesh

bjorn24
Follower

2x r7800 in mesh

So I'm pretty new to all of this networking stuf, but now that we are redoing the network in or home I was wondering some things.

I have an old router in my room that needs replacing and was thinking of buying an r7800 for good wifi connection and also for gaming.

But now the big question because we are redoing the network in or living room as well and first we thought to place a router there as well so we have good wifi and cable network to place a ps4 and home entertainment system.
but it would be great to have a mesh wifi netwerk in the whole house...

So the setup will be as followed:
The 2 routers will be connected with cable to the same modem. Is it still possible to create a mesh netwerk between the 2 routers like this? maybe with a mesh extender between the 2?

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: 2x r7800 in mesh

@bjorn24 wrote:

The 2 routers will be connected with cable to the same modem. Is it still possible to create a mesh netwerk between the 2 routers like this? maybe with a mesh extender between the 2?

Generally you don't connect two routers to the same modem.  Business internet service often supports this, but most home internet service doesn't.

There is a difference between a modem and a gateway that is important to understand though.  A gateway is a modem+router combination.  You can connect both R7800s to the LAN ports on the same gateway.  You'd set them up as Access Points (APs), not in router mode.  They could use the same network name, but you wouldn't have the mesh features.  Your clients would still roam between them, but there would be times where you'd need to turn your client wifi off/on to get to the best signal.

One option is to get an R7800 plus an EX8000 extender.  The EX8000 extender can connect to the R7800 via ethernet or via wifi, and would give you a larger coverage area then the R7800 alone. 

But I think the better option is to get an Orbi RBK50 (an Orbi RBR50 router plus one RBS50 satellite).  That is similar in price, and would get you a fully integrated wifi mesh system. 

@bjorn24 wrote:

But now the big question because we are redoing the network in or living room as well and first we thought to place a router there as well so we have good wifi and cable network to place a ps4 and home entertainment system.
but it would be great to have a mesh wifi netwerk in the whole house...

If you are running new coax cables anyway, you might ask your electrician about running ethernet cables as well.  Connecting the extender+router (or orbi base + satellite) over gigabit ethernet gives you the best performance.  

A few years back I upgraded our house wiring, and as part of the project ran coax and ethernet throughout the house.  That's worked out well for me.  The usual approach is to run the ethernet (and coax) to a common junction area - mine is in the basement near where the ISP connection enters the house.  Then you either put an ethernet switch there (to connect a full ethernet network), or you use a short patch cable to create a connection between two rooms.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7