× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 5GHz doesn't light but shows on devices

MikeStahl
Aspirant

5GHz doesn't light but shows on devices

My router from what I read doesn't have 5GHz only 2.4. 5 GHz light not on extender but the 5GHz wifi name along with 2.4 show up on my IPAD. (not IPHONE). What's going on? The 5 is stronger signal. How am I getting 5GHz band when my router is not dual band and Extender 5GHz band not lit
Message 1 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

MODEL of the unit

I'm sure you are not the only has wifi around you. You may simply getting someone else SSID network
Message 2 of 10
MikeStahl
Aspirant

No
Its my network. Has my wifi name.
Message 3 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

extender connects to 2.4Ghz yet extender can broadcast both bands
Message 4 of 10
Maxime
Aspirant

OK, it can broadcast on both bands even if it receives only one of the two bands (2.4 and 5 GHz).
But is it possible to force the repeater not to broacast anything on one of the two bands? I mean that if I have already many devices on the 2.4 GHz band, can I prevent the WN2500RP to add noise on this band and communicate only on the 5 GHz band?
Message 5 of 10
Maxime
Aspirant

I'm answering myself: apparently according to the user's guide, it is possible to activate/deactivate the access point function on each band separately.

Message 6 of 10
    jmizoguchi
    Virtuoso

usually you can disable by the user if you go in the web interface of the unit
    Message 7 of 10
    fedup2012
    Aspirant

I have same problem. The WN2500RP just wont connect to router at 5ghz. Devices can see and connect 5GHZ band on WN2500RP but because WN2500RP cannot connect to router at 5ghz, the devices have not LAN/Internet access.
    The led for 5ghz on the WN2500RP does not illuminate- although on cycling off/on it does display on diagnostic start up.

Now on second (replacement unit).

As is other post I think its a dud.

😞
    Message 8 of 10
    shyavitz
    Aspirant

I have the same problem. The modem broadcasts dual band and the extender broadcasts both bands. However, the 5Ghz led never comes on. My first contact with Netgear said I had a bad range extender. Returned it and got another one. Had the same problem!!! When I called for support again, was told it was a hardware "GLITCH" that would be fixed. That was late October. Just today I tried to get a status on a fix and have been going round and round getting no where. Tech's want me to redo setup that I've already done multiple times. Can't seem to get to the person that said it was a "glitch" and really knows what's going on!!!
    Message 9 of 10
    rd7047
    Aspirant

My WN 2500RP worked exactly as advertised for two weeks after a flawless two minute set up. Then the 5Ghz connection disappeard and the 2.4 dropped in signal quality. Extender has not been moved
    Message 10 of 10
    Top Contributors
    Discussion stats
    • 9 replies
    • 0 kudos
    • 6 in conversation
    Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7