× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5ghz band totally unusable!

Smartie36
Aspirant

5ghz band totally unusable!

Hi,

Am using this extender with my Netgear WNDR4500 router, the extender works fine if connecting to the router using the 2.4ghz band, the 5ghz however is totally unusable, there's practically now data being sent/received, browsing the net is painfully slow, if it works at all and speedtest results average 0.01mbps!

With the extender placed where it usually is it shows full signal bars for both bands but I still tested the 5 ghz connection with the router & extender in the same room, still utterly useless except for 2.4ghz. Because of this I can only setup the fastlane technology with a 5ghz connection from device to extender & 2.4ghz connection from extender to router, this at least gives me a working connection & while most of my devices support 5ghz my laptop doesn't so the only way I can use that with the extender is to set it up to extend both bands, this works but that's not the point, it appears for whatever reason that the 5ghz connection between the extender & router is totally useless!

Both units have the latest firmware installed on them, is anyone else using this combination and has a fully working 5ghz connection?
I have no problems connecting 2 android tablets, my old S3 and new S4 smartphones to the router via 5ghz, speeds are great so I'd say there's no issue with the router, it's looking to me like a problem with the extender.
Message 1 of 3
Smartie36
Aspirant

Re: 5ghz band totally unusable!

Well I had the extender exchanged as it was still under warranty, the brand new has exactly the same issue, both bands are connected but only the 2.4ghz connection is useable, the 5ghz connection is so slow it's unuseable, pings average over 2 seconds and throughput is virtually non existant!!

I have a V1 WNDR4500, dunno if that's the issue and a V2 would work properly.
Message 2 of 3
Smartie36
Aspirant

Re: 5ghz band totally unusable!

I take it I'm the only who is running this combination of router & extender then, going by the lack of replies! :confused:
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7