× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5ghz extender drops with full signal EX7000

5ghz extender drops with full signal EX7000

Hello so i`ve been using this extender for a few days, i placed it 5meters away from my Virgin Media router, with no walls in between. So the distances are like this: Router->5m -extender - 3m->my device. and there is a wooden door in between my laptop and the extender. I always have full signals for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, the 2.4ghz is stable, i never get disconnected, but the 5ghz connection keeps dropping like every 5min. I want the 5ghz cuz i get around 30MB/s when i download something on steam, and with 2.4ghz i get around 5mb/s. I tried the fastlane technology still doesn`t work, and also i tried changing some channels, still doesn`t work.

Theres gotta be a way to make it work, can someone please help me?

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: 5ghz extender drops with full signal EX7000

Try moving it further away. 15ft (5m) is to close. you'd be better off directly connecting to the router. 

Message 2 of 8

I dont know how this house was made but the signal barely goes trough walls, if i stay on the other side of the coridor , in front of my router 5m away, i have 35mb/s download on steam. And if i go to my room, 1meter from the coridor to my room, i get around 5mb/s. This is just hard to believe🤦🏻‍♂️
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

is that with the router or with the extender?  you need to be specific and you need to test both. 

also, the router is the backbone for the extender. If your router is giving you slow speeds, the extender isn't going to make that better. 

You can tell a lot about a wall by looking/feeling/knocking on it. If its sheetrock/wood then it should be fine. other materials like plaster lathe, concrete, adobe, brick, all do great jobs of blocking wifi signals. 

Message 4 of 8

That was with the routher, thats why i put the extender on the other side of the coridor so it has a straight line with nothing in between router and extender, and the extender to My device only goes trough a wooden door, and it still has poor signall somehow, i have virgin media hub 3.0 with 360mbps speed
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

again, if thats the max speed you're getting out of the router, your extender isn't really going to make much of a difference if it isn't a distance issue. 

It sounds like more of either a router issue or your walls are made of something that blocks wifi signal. Extenders work great but they work great at they're intended purpose. 

Message 6 of 8

I just explained that the extender does t give me even half the speed of the router, and doesnt have any walls between router to extende to device, only a door. Im. Im not sure how am i supposed to make this work, any ideas? Any other device that helps?
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

An extender by its very nature has to recieve and retransmit signal. This reduces bandwidth by roughly 50% and increases latency by the very nature of how they work. This isn't isolated to netgear. the tri-bands help a bit in reducing this but they don't get rid of it entirely. They're great at extending range or overlapping a dead spot. 

Your router is the bottleneck. A range extender isn't going to be faster than the router because it has to run off the router and the speed/latency hit it takes by being an extender. 

You need to first look at your router. Get that speed running decently off your primary router. 

Look at where you live. If the walls are blocking wifi because they're made of adobe/plaster/brick/metal, nothings going to make them suddenly pass wifi through them. If you're in a residence that has walls that block wifi, you'll want to investigate other means such as running ethernet, using moca adapters, or powerline adapters. Or even running multiple access points. 

I don't have an easy solution for you. Get your router working decently. Then assess your home. an extender might not be the solution for you if the walls are blocking signals. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7