× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender

Anfield
Aspirant

AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender

When router is on the extender shows Green. When the device is on the extender on the LINK LED is blank.

In the device settings the existing WiFi name  is connected  but the _ 2GEXT and _5GEXT seem unconnected and if clicked need a password. It seems that it will only boot up on the existing WiFi network name.as though it does'nt  recognise the extender exists and I don't know what part the _2GEXT and _5GEXT play.

I don't know if I have to put in the password for _ 2GEXT and _5GEXT so that all three are connected with a password. I did not install it so am lost on what to do. Help welcomed.

Anfield

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

I'm not even sure what to make of this.

the _2gext and _5gext is the extender's broadcast. 

If you setup the extender correctly, the password for these should be the same as the password you setup for your router. 

Who did install it? (not that it matters)

Not sure what you mean by: In the device settings the existing WiFi name  is connected  but the _ 2GEXT and _5GEXT seem unconnected and if clicked need a password.

In device settings for a pc, in the extender's settings, in your phone settings, what exactly do you mean?

Is there a problem with the device?

If you didn't set it up and its not functioning correctly, a good start would be to factory reset the extender and start over from stock. To reset, push and hold reset for 7-10 seconds while powered up. That way you can follow the install instructions and know exactly what was setup for names and passwords. The support site  has install guides, manuals, and firmware. Since you didn't put a model number (AC1200 is a speed not a model), you can go to netgear.com/support/  and type in your model. it'll have all that info for you. 

Message 2 of 4
Anfield
Aspirant

My last request for help was returned as undelivered for some reason.
My question was an issue on AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender Model EX6120. 
When the device is on the  DEVICE  LINK LED light is blank whereas when the router is on the ROUTER LINK LED shows Green.
In settings the MyNetworkName  is connected as it was before the extender was installed with the Router password.
After the installation MyNetworkName_2GEXT  and MyNetworkName_5GEXT are added. 
I do not know if they are connected but if I highlight either then they require a password. They also have the stronger signal.
Q: Do I need to add passwords to these two?
Q: Why is there no light on Device Link Led
Q: Are the two questions connected?
Page 7 on the booklet says Use the same WiFi password that you use for your WiFi router is not clear that it means for all three.   

Anfield                                                                                                                                                                           
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@Anfield wrote:
My last request for help was returned as undelivered for some reason.
My question was an issue on AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender Model EX6120. 
When the device is on the  DEVICE  LINK LED light is blank whereas when the router is on the ROUTER LINK LED shows Green.
In settings the MyNetworkName  is connected as it was before the extender was installed with the Router password.
After the installation MyNetworkName_2GEXT  and MyNetworkName_5GEXT are added. 
I do not know if they are connected but if I highlight either then they require a password. They also have the stronger signal.
Q: Do I need to add passwords to these two?---if you setup wps it should be the same password as the router's wifi. If you manually set it up, it'll be whatever you set if you set a password. 
Q: Why is there no light on Device Link Led--because nothing is connected to the extender. it lights up when something is connected. 
Q: Are the two questions connected?---a little
Page 7 on the booklet says Use the same WiFi password that you use for your WiFi router is not clear that it means for all three.----All 3? it copies the wifi password whenever you setup via wps. for all both 2.4ghz and 5ghz ssid's.    

Anfield                                                                                                                                                                           

An easy way to check to see if it setup properly is to connect a pc/laptop to the extenders ethernet port. If the internet works while connected via ethernet, it should be setup properly. Plus if you didn't know your ssid password, you can log into the extender this route and get the ssid and password via the ethernet connection. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX6120.aspx

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7