× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC1200 Dual Band extender Model EX6120 daisy chain

JCS49
Aspirant

AC1200 Dual Band extender Model EX6120 daisy chain

Can you daisy chain two EX6120 extenders so you can cover a greated distance? If so, how do you chance the name on the secong EX6120?

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5

@JCS49 wrote:

Can you daisy chain two EX6120 extenders so you can cover a greated distance? If so, how do you chance the name on the secong EX6120?

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

Those things are very different from the standard WiFi Adapters - NETGEAR Communities covered in this section.

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 5
JCS49
Aspirant

Got through to tech support. The answer to can you daisy chain two EX6120 is NO.

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter, EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 5

@JCS49 wrote:

Got through to tech support. The answer to can you daisy chain two EX6120 is NO.

Congratulations on getting through. Do you have a secret password?

Checking the manual it will work in wireless access point (AP) mode. But that needs a wire back to the network. A possible solution there is Powerline Ethernet.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

@JCS49 wrote:

Not correct. 

You can daisy chain 2 extenders.I've done it with others of netgears extenders. (more than once)

It isn't recommended because of the amount of bandwidth you loose and the increased latency. 

Your throughput will be quite a bit less than 25% of what the router is putting out and you'll have higher latency. 

So if you need it for a low throughput/high latency operation, you can do it. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7