× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1200 EX6120 dual band doesn't works

Fabioamoruso42
Aspirant

AC1200 EX6120 dual band doesn't works

Hi,

I recently configured this extender but it works with one band only. The first time with the 2,4GHz band, then i've re-configured it from factory reset and now it works the 5GHz band only. My modem is the FASTGate from Fastweb and i did the band split from the website. I need both bands running.

I've attached a screenshot of my status page on mywifiext.com.

Thanks,

Fabio

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: AC1200 EX6120 dual band doesn't works

1. How are you doing the setup? Via wps or using the smart connect wizard? If you tried via wps, reset it again and try using the smart connect wizard. Whenever wps has issues, it tends to go smoother with smart connect.

2. When you're doing the smart connect setup, does it see both bands broadcasting?

3. Probably not this but try setting the channel on your router and not using auto for setup. try 1-6-11. 

4. Also try doing the setup in the same room as the router. You can move it once you have it setup and functioning. 

5. I've also found it to be helpful to be actually hardwired into the extender for setup. its not necessary but setup tends to go smoother. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX6120.aspx

Message 2 of 10
Fabioamoruso42
Aspirant

1. I did the setup via the web browser, where can i find instructions for the smart connect wizard setup?

2. In the web browser i can see both band broadcasting

3. Done and nothing changed

4. Did that everytime

5. Haven't tried it yet

Update: when i connect a device straight to the modem it works with both bands, the problem is when i connect at the 2,4GHz band of the extender.

Now the status is changed, i've attached the screenshot.

Fabio

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

The smart connect wizard is the setup wizard using the browser. 

From the look of things from your most recent screen snip, its connecting on the 2.4ghz back to the router. And you're on a different channel. Potentially you have enough interference on your 2.4ghz channels that its causing instabilities in that spectrum since the wifi channel changed while set on auto. 

If you do a wireless channel scan (there's free phone apps and pc apps you can download), how many wireless channels are in use in your area?

2.4ghz broadcasts further and through more material so if you live in a group housing (apartment, condo, etc), there potentially is quite a bit of interference and could be causing you issues. 

Message 4 of 10
Fabioamoruso42
Aspirant

I changed the channels on the modem's website but i can't change them on mywifiext.com. I've already chosen the best channels cause my modem's website tells me how much interference there are per channel.

Fabio

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

The extender will use whatever channel the router is using. Which is why you can't change it on the extender (unless in AP mode). 

Something to keep in mind is wifi overlap. channel 4 and 8 might be the least used but there's overlap. which is why we usually recommend 1-6-11 for 2.4ghz. 

https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-channels-1-6-11.html

Message 6 of 10
Fabioamoruso42
Aspirant

I tried all of those 3 channel but it's still not connecting. I did the setup again with an ethernet cable plugged in but nothing has changed

Fabio

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

@Fabioamoruso42 wrote:

I tried all of those 3 channel but it's still not connecting. I did the setup again with an ethernet cable plugged in but nothing has changed

Fabio

Ethernet cable plugged into a pc or the router? 

does it work plugged into the router running in AP mode? That'll tell you if the 2.4ghz radio is bad in it.

another thing you can try is to actually reinstall the firmware. If something was corrupt during an install, factory resetting doesn't fix the problem. It only erases settings. Actually re-installing the firmware can help sometimes. 

Message 8 of 10
Fabioamoruso42
Aspirant

No problem, i'm returning it back to Amazon and i'm buying another extender from a different brand. This thing really sucks and its support service sucks too. Wasted and entire day for this thing.
Thank you for your help by the way.
Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Good luck 

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation