× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC1200 Wifi Range extender will not connect with my computer

rogercorke
Guide

AC1200 Wifi Range extender will not connect with my computer

I have been using the AC120 for a year with no problems. But I have just changed the name of my Wifi router and the password to make it easier to remember and log in. I reset the AC1200 using the reset buttton and then set it up again using the WPS button on the extender and the WPS button on the router. 

It has clearly connected with the router because the 2GXT and the _5GXT networks are there with the new name of my wifi network but I cannot connect to either network using my Mac, iPhone or iPad.

Initially, it asked me for a WPA2 password when I tried tdo connact to the _5GXT network. I'm not sure what that is but I tried the new password for my router, the old one and one on the bottom of the router. None worked.

Now it's not even asking me for a WPA2 password. It just won't let me connect to either network and defaults back to the main router, which has a poor signal in the part of the house where my Mac is situated.

Can anyone out there help?

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
rogercorke
Guide

Yippee! It did it by not using WPS! Thank you so much for your help. 

But isn't it unbelievable that a relatively simple piece of equipment can be made so bloody complicated?  Just so typical of the way all computer equipment is still constructed and designed...created for nerds by nerds, instead of created by humkans for humans.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
CaptainDork
Apprentice

But I have just changed the name of my Wifi router and the password to make it easier to remember and log in. I reset the AC1200 using the reset buttton and then set it up again using the WPS button on the extender and the WPS button on the router.

>>> Did you change the name of the router or the SSID? The router name is AC1200.

If you factory reset the router and changed the SSID (what you see in the list of networks you can log into from a phone, etc.) then all of the devices that connected to the OLD name have to get the news. Essentially, you need to also factory reset the extender and reinstall it. Also, any devices that "remember," like the extender will have to be informed that the password has changed.

For iOS and Windows devices, you'll need to select the new SSID and enter the new password you gave the router.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Message 2 of 14
rogercorke
Guide

Hi there. Thanks for your reply.  I changed the name of my broadband wireless router and it's password.  I then connected my Mac, iPhone and iPad to it with no problem.  

Then I hit the rest button on the Netgear Ac100 extender and set it up afresh. When I had done that, I could see the names of the two Netgear extender networks had changed to correspond to the new name of my broadband WiFi network, so the two devices are clearly talking to each other but I still can't log on to either of the extender's networks using my Mac. 

Message 3 of 14
CaptainDork
Apprentice

I've been doing PC computers for 41 years as a hobby and a profession.

Sadly, I missed the ENTIRE Mac experience. Sorry.

Message 4 of 14
rogercorke
Guide

I'm not sure it's got anything to do with Macs or PCs, given that this extendeer is supposed to work with both.

I have now (a) factory reset my broadband router, returning to the original name and password (b) reset my Netgear extender (c) pressed the WPS buttons on the hub and extender and joined the two devices together (d) checked they have talked to each other by checking that then original name of my broadband router is incorporated into _2G and _5G extender names in the list of available wifi networks and...

... still it's asking me for a damn WPA2 password!

I then put in (a) my original wifi password on the back of the router (b) the password I changed it to before doing a factory reset (c) the hub password on the back of the router (d) the word "password". 

Nothing is working.

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

Try factory resetting and reinstalling the extender but don't install it using WPS. Install it using the installation assistant. 

Message 6 of 14
rogercorke
Guide

I've tried doing that but I cant' get to the installation assistant. I've factory reset my broadband rrouter and the extender and I still get the same list of Wifi location - my broadband router and the _2GXT and the _5GXT wifi networks. I can't even get to the installation assityant. 

I've reset both revices half a dozen times and it still isn't working.This is the equivalent of trying to start a car by removing the engine and replacing it with a new one! I can't believe that Netgear can still be in business if all the products they sell is==ar this diffcuylt to use. Please can someone tell me how to make it work.

thank you - in complete frustration

Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

When you're resetting, is the extender showing up at netgear_ext 

Or as your network name? 

Message 8 of 14
nielsvds
Luminary

Message 9 of 14
rogercorke
Guide

It's showing up as my network name with _2GXT and _5GXT after the name.

Message 10 of 14
rogercorke
Guide

I tried this URL and removed every entry for the _5GEXT and _2GEXT networks from both my iCloud keychain and my Network Preferences.

Then I reset my broadband router and my Netgear extender. Then linked them again using the WPS buttons and... I still can't log on to the extender without a WPA2 password. 

Just as an experiment, I then removed my broadband router from Netwrok preferences. It asked me for a password when I logged back in but not for a WPA2 password.

I think I've tried everything. Anyone got any other thoughts?

Message 11 of 14
plemans
Guru

don't set it up using wps. I've seen way to many routers not follow the same coding for wps and it cause issues. 

If that method isn't work, then factory reset and install the extender using the installation assistant. NOT wps. 

Message 12 of 14
rogercorke
Guide

Yippee! It did it by not using WPS! Thank you so much for your help. 

But isn't it unbelievable that a relatively simple piece of equipment can be made so bloody complicated?  Just so typical of the way all computer equipment is still constructed and designed...created for nerds by nerds, instead of created by humkans for humans.

Message 13 of 14
plemans
Guru

Glad it worked for you!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements