× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1750 Wifi Mesh Extender - Ethernet Backhaul?

jhk_57
Aspirant

AC1750 Wifi Mesh Extender - Ethernet Backhaul?

Hi All,

I have just purchased this device and had planned to deploy it at the far end of my home. Am I able to use the ethernet port to send data back to the main router (backhaul) or is it only used to connect a device (computer, printer, etc.) physically to the AC1750 with all backhual having to go via wifi?

Thanks,

jhk

Model: EX6250|AC1750-WIFI MESH EXTENDER
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: AC1750 Wifi Mesh Extender - Ethernet Backhaul?

You can hardwire it in. just make sure that during setup (if hardwired) that you set it up in access point mode. 

Message 2 of 6
jhk_57
Aspirant

Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply. If set up in access point mode will it still operate in "mesh" mode with the same ssid and password as the main router?

jhk

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

technically it doesn't run in mesh mode when in access point mode. You can set it with the same ssid/password. 

Some devices might be sticky and not roam well between them versus some of the newer devices might work fine. 

but you will have faster speeds. 

When ran in extender mode, single/dual band extenders cut throughput 50% because they have to use the same chip to go router-----extender and then extender----device. And they can't do both at once. so hardwiring it in or using a triband helps negate that speed hit

Message 4 of 6
jhk_57
Aspirant

I understand. My thinking was if I could havae a wired mesh extender, I wouldn't have to add as may devices to reach all areas of teh house. My main router is in the basment and 75' away from the farthest point in our ranch style home. So, if I am relying on a wifi extender that has to pick up a radio signal, it would have to be placed closer to the router (but on the main floor) and we might possibly need a second one. I guess I'll play around with it to see what speeds are like but if a hardwired device (2 band) isn't going to operate in a mesh mode then I might just return it and get a tri band Netgear device and skip the wired backhaul idea.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

The only consumer netgear devices that I know that support both wireless and wired backhaul in mesh is the netgear MK series and the orbi series. I've used several orbi series in both wired/wireless and they've worked great. I haven't used the MK but heard they work pretty good if hardwired in. If not hardwired, then you'd want the triband series for the dedicated backhaul. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7