× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1900 EX6400v2 WiFi mesh extender

THEMOSER7
Aspirant

AC1900 EX6400v2 WiFi mesh extender

My AC1900 EX6400v2 won’t connect to the 5G I’ve been using NETGEAR extenders for years now but my 5 gHz won’t connect i went through the smart setup but the 5G says disconnected and can’t join that connection anyone able to help
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: AC1900 EX6400v2 WiFi mesh extender

Are you using the one wifi name? or did it get turned on?

The one wifi feature uses a single ssid for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals and lets the device manage which band you connect to. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX6400v2.aspx

Message 2 of 9
THEMOSER7
Aspirant

I tried both ways which is best to use
Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

It mostly depends on your preference. My wife loves the single ssid naming and letting the devices handle which band is connected. I'm not as huge a fan because sometimes my devices that need more bandwidth are stuck on the 2.4ghz. So it basically comes down to how well it works for you. If your devices are all functioning as they should with a single ssid, i'd probably leave it for simplicity. If you're having issues with some devices not getting enough bandwidth, you can switch it off and assign the high bandwidth devices to the 5ghz channel. 

Message 4 of 9
THEMOSER7
Aspirant

I’m trying to get my higher bandwidth 5G connecting but I can’t get it because I need the higher one I believe
Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Did you disable the one name feature? You might have to rename your 5ghz wifi afterward as I think it defaults to the same as the 2.4ghz. 

Message 6 of 9
THEMOSER7
Aspirant

Message 7 of 9
THEMOSER7
Aspirant

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

From looking at your pictures, I have a few questions. 

What router are you connecting back to?

What materials is your house made of? plaster lathe, metal, foil lined insulation, brick, concrete, hvac all do a great job of blocking signals.

How big is your house? distance of extender from router?

Reason why I ask all this is that your 2.4ghz is only connecting at a 55mbps link rate. If you're halfway close, you should have a much better connection than that.

2.4ghz has a better penatration (goes through more stuff) but has lower bandwidth. 5ghz has much better bandwidth but does it at the cost of not as much range and lower penetration of housing material.

So if your 2.4ghz is only connecting at that rate, you might either be out of range of the 5ghz, have something blocking the signal, or having issues with the router. yes you have all bars showing with your connection but you're still connected at a lower link rate.  also, what channels are you broadcasting on with your 5ghz from your router?

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7