× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender - DHCP Issue

Yasin1969
Tutor

AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender - DHCP Issue

Hardware Version: EX6410

Firmware Version: V1.0.0.124

Hi,

Recently bought one of these and have the latest firmware running.  The 6410 is running in extender mode and works fine .... most of the time.

Every few weeks it decides to stop passing through the DHCP request to the clients.  Nothing wrong with the main router.  When giving clients a static IP address and connecting to the extender works fine and also when connecting to the main router with the same clients passes the DHCP address with no problems.

One by one the same starts happening to other clients and I end up having to put static IP's to each device which isn't great.

Any ideas ? Thanks in advance

Cheers, Yasin

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Fred_B
Tutor

Re: AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender - DHCP Issue

Product : EX6470

Firmware : v1.0.3.30

Same problem as reported but I found a possible cause.

Sometimes DHCP request sent thru the extender doesn't succeed.

In this cases I saw that there's always at least a duplicated IP in the connected devices list of the extender interface.

It seems that old ip addresses are kept in memory (how many time ?) and cause an issue if there's a new dhcp request for the same device while its old ip is already taken by another device.

I explain :

1. 1st state :e. :
    device A ip  = x.x.x.22
    device B x.x.x.32
  2. 2nd state :
    device A no more connected and ip expired
    device B renews its ip and get x.x.x.22

I the extender memory we see both device A an B with the same ip (x.x.x.22), it's a bug in the ex6470 ...
At least, as soon as a new ip is catched, other devices with the same ip should be remove from the connected list.

While device A is still present in the list, dhcp requests don't work properly thru the extender.

I only found 2 way to solve this manually :

- Restart the extender to empty its connected devices list (very impacting solution, not smart at all)

- Force my dhcp server to give a new specific ip to the mac address of the impacted device (it works immediately)

If netgear could solve with problem in a new micro code update, it would be nice.

View solution in original post

Model: EX6400v2|AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender Essentials Edition
Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

dhcp is handled by the router with the extender just acting as an intermediary. More than likely lease times are expiring and the router isn't recognizing it because of the extender in the middle. 

Does the extender have a static route setup? or just the devices connecting to the extender? 

Message 2 of 8
Yasin1969
Tutor

Hi,

No static routes set-up on the extender - just the clients which fail I'm setting up manually.

I don't think there is any issue with the main router.  The same devices which can't get a DHCP address from the extender can get one directly from the router without any problems.

Yasin

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

What router is it connected to? 

Did you set it up with wps or using the installation assistant? 

Message 4 of 8
Yasin1969
Tutor

TalkTalk Huawei Super Router HG633

I set it up using the install assistant.

Message 5 of 8
Fred_B
Tutor

Message 6 of 8
Fred_B
Tutor

Product : EX6470

Firmware : v1.0.3.30

Same problem as reported but I found a possible cause.

Sometimes DHCP request sent thru the extender doesn't succeed.

In this cases I saw that there's always at least a duplicated IP in the connected devices list of the extender interface.

It seems that old ip addresses are kept in memory (how many time ?) and cause an issue if there's a new dhcp request for the same device while its old ip is already taken by another device.

I explain :

1. 1st state :e. :
    device A ip  = x.x.x.22
    device B x.x.x.32
  2. 2nd state :
    device A no more connected and ip expired
    device B renews its ip and get x.x.x.22

I the extender memory we see both device A an B with the same ip (x.x.x.22), it's a bug in the ex6470 ...
At least, as soon as a new ip is catched, other devices with the same ip should be remove from the connected list.

While device A is still present in the list, dhcp requests don't work properly thru the extender.

I only found 2 way to solve this manually :

- Restart the extender to empty its connected devices list (very impacting solution, not smart at all)

- Force my dhcp server to give a new specific ip to the mac address of the impacted device (it works immediately)

If netgear could solve with problem in a new micro code update, it would be nice.

Message 7 of 8
Fred_B
Tutor

For me it's not solved.

I gave 2 workarounds for the problem, but one needs some technical knowledge and the other, stop/start the extender, is just not an acceptable solution.

The right solution would be a firmware update from netgear to remove the noted behavior.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7