× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1900 WiFi Range Extender EX7000 incorrect password error (password entered correctly)

YoMama2
Follower

AC1900 WiFi Range Extender EX7000 incorrect password error (password entered correctly)

I have an EX7000/AC1900 setup in the middle of my house as a wifi extender.  Often I get an error from a device when I try to connect where it tells me the password is incorrect.  I have seen this error on ipads, iphones, android phones and rokus.  I have logged into the extender via desktop computer and looked to see that the password is set to that of my AT&T cable modem. 

• Hardware Version: EX7000
  • Firmware Version: V1.0.0.66_1.0.126

Connection to Existing Network (2.4GHz)

• Signal Strength: 217 Mbps
  • Name (SSID): 
  • Connection Status: Connected

Connection to Existing Network (5GHz)

• Signal Strength: 1170 Mbps
  • Name (SSID): 
  • Connection Status: Connected

Extender WiFi Status (2.4GHz)

• Name (SSID): _2GEXT
  • Region: North America
  • Channel: Auto (11)
  • Wireless mode: Up to 600 Mbps
  • Wireless AP: On
  • Broadcast Name: On
  • Wi-Fi Protected Setup: Configured

Extender WiFi Status (5GHz)

• Name (SSID): _5GEXT
  • Region: North America
  • Channel: 36(P) + 40 + 44 + 48
  • Wireless mode: Up to 1300 Mbps
  • Wireless AP: On
  • Broadcast Name: On
  • Wi-Fi Protected Setup: Configured

What is causing the problem where the wifi extender does not recognize the password as being correct?

I have reset the wifi extender and re run the setup wizard and nothing is fixing the problem.  Any ideas?

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: AC1900 WiFi Range Extender EX7000 incorrect password error (password entered correctly)

Is it possible that there is another extender in the neighborhood with the same network name?  Another thought is that there might be some other network that your devices recognize and then mistakenly try to connect to  - for instance, xfinitywifi, or some similar hotspot name.

One option is to try turning off the extender, and making sure that it's network name isn't being advertised by someone else.

Message 2 of 3
CyclonusJ
Aspirant

Re: AC1900 WiFi Range Extender EX7000 incorrect password error (password entered correctly)

I got the same problem and there is no other network sharing the same SSID as mine. The only way to workaround it is to reboot the extender which is very annoying.

Is this a bug that Netgear can take a look?

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7