× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1900 can not login etc.

FinnIsMyName
Aspirant

AC1900 can not login etc.

Can not login to configure.

-

Is it possible to log in and configure something when it's in access point mode (sharing from ethernet) ? ........ Apparently not, because I can not.

-

Lessons learned :

1 : The ethernet port only works if you connect to a Gigabit port, not if you connect it to 100/10 ports (in my case with a zyxel switch)

2 : In order to find the IP of your router the Android app "WiFi Settings" will help you out.  The official method described by netgear is not available by many ISP providers (they don't allow you direct router access, and/or the router don't list connected devices)

3 : In my home network, for sure the box don't get the default IP (ref 2 above), another way is to find the IP from another computer on the network by cmd and ipconfig, and then doing ping to ip's in the DHCP allocation range, and then disconnecting the box, and doing the pings over again and seeing which ping is no longer responding. ....... (as DHCP normally counts up when allocating).

4 : But as mentioned in the initial question, I suspect you can not connect to it once in access mode but will have to re-set it and do the setup over again.  Pitty, because I thought I could maybe use "Do More" as the manual sugested.  I tried from chrome and firefox from both WLAN (access point) connected Android as well as from Windows 7 ethernet connected.

B.R. 🙂 .....

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: AC1900 can not login etc.

have you tried connecting to it and going to mywifiext.net?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can connect to it when its in AP mode. You just have to know what ip address it is. If the default ip address isn't in the range that your router is, you'll have issues. for instance if you set your router at 192.168.2.1 and the extender at 192.168.1.1. 

Whenever I set a router/device up in AP mode, I make that if the main router is 192.168.1.1, I change the router in ap mode to something like 192.168.1.100 when I change it. Then I know what IP address it is as well as its within my routers IP range. 

Message 2 of 6
FinnIsMyName
Aspirant

I know it's IP which is 192.168.10.106 and the ping respons stops when I disconnect the ethernet cable to it, and my Android app also says the IP is ....10.106 ..... when I connect to it's WLAN.

But https://192.168.10.106 from chrome or firefox doesn't work,..... says not allowed or rejected or something like that.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

have you tried connecting to it and going to mywifiext.net?

Message 4 of 6
FinnIsMyName
Aspirant

That's working (magically).  It says "New update is available" ..... HW = EX7000 FW = 

V1.0.0.62_1.0.122 ....

I think I did try this before, but it lost the connection when I "clicked here" to update the FW, but this time it's working (possibly I used the 5GHz band last time, now I'm on the 2.4Ghz).

That did work now FW is V1.0.1.80_1.0.144 and up to date.

By the way : I was happy with the performance / coverage when I tested from my Android phone with the app "WiFi Speed Test", and I am considering buying one more to replace the ones I have (except I don't have Giga bit on my other switches, a problem I will need to adress as this Netgear box apparently only talks Giga bit).

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Just an fyi, when you start adding more than a single extender, you can start having issues unless you're using individual ssid names for the router and extenders.  Starts to get to be a pain as you have multiple ssids. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7