× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC3000 stability

Meribelman
Aspirant

AC3000 stability

Hi. I'm hoping someone may be able to help. I have an EX8000 mesh extender that connects perfectly to my main router. When working it is superb, however it is very unstable and can just stop working for anything between 30 seconds and 3 minutes. Then everything resumes as normal. It's very frustrating. A great product if only I could work out why it's not stable. The main service is stable and another router ethernet connected to the main router for TV services is also stable. Any advice welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: AC3000 stability

What router are you using? Its the backbone of the system. You put that its running normally but it might not be. Any chance you have a 2nd router you could test off? 

What firmware are you running on the extender? 

Have you tried a factory reset and manual setup using the installation wizard? 

have you tried setting a static address in your router for the extender? 

have you tried moving the extender closer/further away/laterally? maybe there's interference in the walls.

Have you tried changing the channel the backhaul is operating on? 

Have you tried hardwiring into the extender to see if its an issue of the backhaul or the broadcasting radios? If you're hardwired and everything stays working, the backhaul is running fine. 

Message 2 of 7
Meribelman
Aspirant

Hi Plemans

First, many thanks for your reply, much appreciated.  Please bear with me on my responses.

What router are you using? Its the backbone of the system. You put that its running normally but it might not be. Any chance you have a 2nd router you could test off? 

--> Its a router from my provider, Movistar in Spain, the model is Askey 3505VW.  I have tried the AC3000 connected to a different router, which is an Asus RT-AC66U AC1750 and experienced the same issues 

--> I do not know or how to find out

--> When I bought it, I needed support from Netgear as the WPS installation was a disaster.  So, yes it has been set up manually following a complete factory reset

--> I do not know how to do this, but it sounds like a good idea based on other things I have read.  

have you tried moving the extender closer/further away/laterally? maybe there's interference in the walls.

--> Yes and the performance is consistent - ie unstable but when good, awesome!

--> Again, sorry, I don't know how to do this

Have you tried hardwiring into the extender to see if its an issue of the backhaul or the broadcasting radios? If you're hardwired and everything stays working, the backhaul is running fine. 

--> By this you mean run an ethernet cable from the router to the extender? Does that need me to reconfigure the extender in anyway?

Thanks again, and sorry for any stupid questions or responses!

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

--> Its a router from my provider, Movistar in Spain, the model is Askey 3505VW.  I have tried the AC3000 connected to a different router, which is an Asus RT-AC66U AC1750 and experienced the same issues ------The Askey isn't known to be good router. the asus is though. but was it connected to the askey?

--> I do not know or how to find out----on the status page for the extender. 

--> When I bought it, I needed support from Netgear as the WPS installation was a disaster.  So, yes it has been set up manually following a complete factory reset

--> I do not know how to do this, but it sounds like a good idea based on other things I have read.  ----check the askey manual

--> Yes and the performance is consistent - ie unstable but when good, awesome!

--> Again, sorry, I don't know how to do this------basically changing the wifi channel the 5ghz is on for the primary router. 

--> By this you mean run an ethernet cable from the router to the extender? Does that need me to reconfigure the extender in anyway?----You can do both. first direct connect a pc to the extender and see if it stays stable. That'd test the backhaul to see if that was an issue. If that's fine, then try just connecting the extender directly to the router and running it in AP (access point) mode to see if the wireless for the extender is fine. 

Thanks again, and sorry for any stupid questions or responses!

Message 4 of 7
Meribelman
Aspirant

Thank you again - I have tried the suggestions as best as I can and know how to.  At the end of the day this is supposed to be a consumer product that should be easy to install and troubleshoot.  That it is clearly not.  When it is working, it is superb and a great tool.  Unfortunately, it is highly unpredictable, intermittent, and therefore unreliable.  Thanks again, I appreciate the response really, but I think I need to reconsider a better option and discard this kit. I have zero interest in investing many hours to solve a problem that seems to be an issue in the design or software

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Meribelman wrote:

Thank you again - I have tried the suggestions as best as I can and know how to.  At the end of the day this is supposed to be a consumer product that should be easy to install and troubleshoot.  That it is clearly not. ----I had my parents set it up and they can barely use a phone. I'd beg to differ that point.  When it is working, it is superb and a great tool.  Unfortunately, it is highly unpredictable, intermittent, and therefore unreliable.  Thanks again, I appreciate the response really, but I think I need to reconsider a better option and discard this kit. I have zero interest in investing many hours to solve a problem that seems to be an issue in the design or software

If you've given up hope, that's fine. 

Message 6 of 7
Meribelman
Aspirant

Well, based on what you have suggested, and based on the fact I am not talking about setting it up, I am referring to troubleshooting, it would seem that the reality is as documented by me.  I am not trying to make life difficult for me myself.  And it's nothing to do with "hope" for sure. I thought my courtesy of thanking you was appropriate.  Reciprocity would be nice.

Today it has "stuttered" about 5 times.  Service from it literally dies for 1-5 minutes and then it's back.  You don't know when it will happen or for how long.  Fixing that is not setting it up.  

I thank you again.  It's a pity that this forum appears to possibly cater more for those who may need to have an intrinsic interest in tech rather than the benefits of it and just using it.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7