× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC750 Extender Ethernet Enabled Device

v015eyjd
Initiate

AC750 Extender Ethernet Enabled Device

I have an AC750 WiFi Range Extender Model EX6100v2.  I want to connect it up in Extender Mode.  There is a picture in the Quick Start Guide under the heading "Connect to an Ethernet-Enabled Device.  It shows the Extender connected via hardwire CAT5 cable to a Blu-ray player.  I have attached a photo of the page in the Quick Start Guide.  I would like to connect a network switch to the CAT5 cable and then connect several devices to the switch.  This would only be for controls to my TiVo box and my Roku.  I have a Crestron system and everything was working fine when I was using an Ethernet connection that was going through the electrical wiring.  That product broke/stopped working, so I'm looking for an alternative (the house isn't wired for Ethernet).  If I could run a CAT5 cable from the router to the network switch, everything would work.  So I'm wondering if this would be an alternative to running the CAT5 cable from upstairs to the Entertainment Center.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Model: EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: AC750 Extender Ethernet Enabled Device

You can do that. As I've done something simlar in the past (not recently). 

Its just something to keep in mind that even though those devices are hardwired in, they're still running off the wireless between the router and the extender. And that extender is a basic AC750 device. If you're trying to push a bunch of bandwidth through it, an upgrade to something with a a wider/higher throughput device might be better. If you're not transferring that high of bandwidth, then you'd probably be alright*. 

*depending on connection strength, distance, interference, etc. 

Message 2 of 3
v015eyjd
Initiate

Re: AC750 Extender Ethernet Enabled Device

@plemans wrote:

You can do that. As I've done something simlar in the past (not recently). 

Its just something to keep in mind that even though those devices are hardwired in, they're still running off the wireless between the router and the extender. And that extender is a basic AC750 device. If you're trying to push a bunch of bandwidth through it, an upgrade to something with a a wider/higher throughput device might be better. If you're not transferring that high of bandwidth, then you'd probably be alright*. 

*depending on connection strength, distance, interference, etc. 

Yes, bandwidth should be minor.  No movie streaming, etc.  Just sending commands from my Crestron controller to the Roku and TiVo via Ethernet connection.  The TV and AV Receiver have an IR input, which is sent from the Crestron controller to the device via an IRP2 - IR Emitter Probe w/Terminal Block Connector

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7