× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC750 Model EX6100v2 Will not connect to routor

Challenger_360
Aspirant

AC750 Model EX6100v2 Will not connect to routor

Help Please,

Just got home after 6 months away and my AC750 EX6100v2 will not connect to the router. I left my router from Frontier running but I shut off the AC750 wifi extender because I was not in my office, there for it was not needed. (Gotta save on the power bill.) Upon my return I turned the above mentioned extender back on and the _EXT popped up as it should in my Wireless Network options, but the wifi extender will not reconnect to the router. I did a factory reset and even tired the recommended Ethernet cable to no avail. Yes the warranty expired back in August of last year but that should have nothing to do with anything. But perhaps I'm wrong and the device had a planned obsolescence date and is engineered to only run for a year and then self terminate? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.

Model: EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: AC750 Model EX6100v2 Will not connect to routor

It doesn't self terminate. 🙂

Did you push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on? 

What do all the led's do?

Message 2 of 11
Challenger_360
Aspirant

Q: Did you push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while it’s powered on?

A: Yes that was done and all it did was shut off the power and made the power light flash amber and green. Router and extender lights flashed red and blue as well.

Q: What do all the led's do?

A: For the normal start up. After releasing the power button the power light stayed amber for 74 seconds. Then a quick .5 second flash of blue light for both extender and router followed by a .5 second flash of red for both extender and router. Then all but the power button goes out. Nothing other than the power button shows any light.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

and what color is that power light?

Message 4 of 11
Challenger_360
Aspirant

The power light is a steady green.

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

If the power light is a steady green and you connect a pc/laptop to the extender via ethernet (disabled the pc/laptops wireless), are you able to attempt setup or get an active connection (won't have internet)

Message 6 of 11
Challenger_360
Aspirant

If I connect my laptop to the extender via ethernet with the  laptops wireless disabled, I cannot attempt the set up but my laptop does say that there is an active connection to the extender. The extender light stays dark and it says that there is no internet but I am connected to the extender.

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

Are you able to ping the extender? 

ping it at 192.168.1.250

You can try recoving it with tftp or nmrpflash.  

are you on windows? if so, follow this guide

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure you enable tftp 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through using a tftp client. Use the built in one for windows 10 though. the video is more of an example of how its done. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 8 of 11
Challenger_360
Aspirant

I was able to ping the extender at 192.168.1.250 when it was cabled to the laptop. It then prompted the set up option. After completing the set up still cabled to the laptop, the extender now connects to the router but after disconnecting the cable from the extender to the laptop; the laptop will not connect to the extender wirelessly. It will only connect when the laptop is cabled to the extender. The extender light flashes blue twice then goes dark for a while then flashes blue twice more in a repeating manor when trying to connect wirelessly.

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

What firmware version is on the EX6100v2?

its a mesh extender so if you set it up using mesh (onessid) or using the wps method, it uses the same ssid as the primary router and devices roam to it automatically. 

If you log into your router and look at your attached devices page (or equivelent) you should see the extender and its ip address. 

Message 10 of 11
Challenger_360
Aspirant

The version was .76 I think but now it is updating to the .96 version. It seems working with Wndown 7 has made the extender a little cranky. I will use the above conversation to fix the other extender, an AC1200 Model EX6110 that did the same thing 2 years ago and hope fully it to will work again.

Thank you for your time.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7