× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC750 WPS light not lit but status shows WPA2-PSK[AES] Encryption for both bands

AC750 WPS light not lit but status shows WPA2-PSK[AES] Encryption for both bands

After automatic firmware update to latest available version (V1.0.1.90), the new "enable one wifi name" option, apparently the default setting, became active.  My wireless printer had been configured to connect to the _EXT SSID and needed to be reconfigured.  My printer has a WPS button.  In the past, I configured and connected the printer to my network wirelessly by pressing the WPS button on the printer and then on the wifi extender.  This only needed to be done the first time.  Afterwards, any time the printer was turned on, it automatically connected to the extender's signal.  The WPS button procedure worked this time as well, and my printer became reliably recognized and responsive to the new SSID (without the _EXT).  However, I noticed that the WPS light on the extender was "off".  I logged into the extender via the web installation assistant interface and went to the status tab.  To my surprise, both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz extender signals are shown as WPS configured with Security Type: WPA2-PSK{AES}.  To try to get the WPS light lit, I depressed the WPS button on the extender and then while blinking, depressed the WPS button on my router about 30 seconds later.  No effect.  In the past, it reliably always resulted in a solid green WPS light on the extender.  I again depressed the WPS button on the printer and then on the extender.  No joy.  Before anyone suggests that I should press the WPS button on the extender before pressing it on the printer, the instructions for the printer stipulate that the correct sequence to use WPS to connect the printer to a network is to always press the WPS button on the printer before pressing the button on a router or extender.  And, that sequence always worked in the past.

So, do I or do I not have encrypted security in the signal between my devices and their connections to the extender's signals?  Is the failure of the WPS light to remain lit a security problem or perhaps a bug in the updated firmware?

Model: EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions

Re: AC750 WPS light not lit but status shows WPA2-PSK[AES] Encryption for both bands

I just solved my own problem.  When I reviewed all the wireless settings in detail, I noted that the checkbox for using a WPS pin was checked.  I had always left that box unchecked in the past.  I unchecked the box and saved the new setting.  When the extender digested the changed setting, all lights, including the WPS once again glow solid green.  I verified that WPS encryption was still active on the status page and all is well again.  I'm thinking of unchecking the option for automatic updating of firmware.  At least if I manually update the firmware and things begin to behave differently, I'm not as surprised when there are significant changes in the way the extender behaves.  Given that I registered the extender when I purchased it, it would have been nice to get an e-mail from netgear, alerting users to the new firmware, the changes they should anticipate, and perhaps even an update user document for future reference.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies

Re: AC750 WPS light not lit but status shows WPA2-PSK[AES] Encryption for both bands

I just solved my own problem.  When I reviewed all the wireless settings in detail, I noted that the checkbox for using a WPS pin was checked.  I had always left that box unchecked in the past.  I unchecked the box and saved the new setting.  When the extender digested the changed setting, all lights, including the WPS once again glow solid green.  I verified that WPS encryption was still active on the status page and all is well again.  I'm thinking of unchecking the option for automatic updating of firmware.  At least if I manually update the firmware and things begin to behave differently, I'm not as surprised when there are significant changes in the way the extender behaves.  Given that I registered the extender when I purchased it, it would have been nice to get an e-mail from netgear, alerting users to the new firmware, the changes they should anticipate, and perhaps even an update user document for future reference.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7