× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition experiencing a dropping in speed/performance over time

WalterLee
Guide

AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition experiencing a dropping in speed/performance over time

After using this wifi extender with my ASUS RT-AC3100 router I was happy with the performace of the connection which was 10mbps download speed on my computer. I use this product as a wifi extender and connected it to my computer via ethernet cable and I make sure that no other device tries to connect to my wifi extender. The connection to my router and device were stated good or green, my computer has been using the software and games with really good ping, download speeds on google, steam, and other softwares displayed averages of 10mbps. However, ever since a week ago or earlier I started noticing the issue that my download speeds decreased to around 200kbps which annoys me from doing anything on any site. However when playing games and such my ping was about the same which is 20-30ms in all games. I wish to fix my download speed issue, I tried reseting my routers and such, I tried different kind of connection like 2.4 ghz band or 5 ghz, change wireless channels, checked, removed, or updated software on my computer to help but to no avail the download does not seem to change. The final thing I did was checking how much download speed is limited and its no where close to 200kbps, it was capped at 100mbps as it was before this happened.

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
WalterLee
Guide

Re: AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition experiencing a dropping in speed/performance over t

Found the problem, In my router settings I saw that my speed was limited to 2mbps changed it back to what it was, it must've been my brother trying to keep his high speeds

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition experiencing a dropping in speed/performance over t

What speed do you pay for from your isp? 

If the extender is hardwired into your pc, have you tried setting up fastlane mode? 

another though was have you tried moving it around a bit? sometimes things within the walls or furniture can be blocking signals. moving a little laterally/closer/further away can actually help speed. 

firmware on the extender? 

What speed do you get from speedtest.com directly connected to the router? 

and then speedtest directly connected to the extender? 

Message 2 of 12
WalterLee
Guide

1. Around like 60 or 70 a month

2. Fastlane hardly did anyhting

3. My extender hasn't moved one bit before the situation ocured and I can't get any more optimal with connection with router vs device since the computer is too far

4. Says up to date

5. Most speed tests say that my other computer for my brother is around 50 mbps with all the normal devices connecting wirelessly or wired to my router at the same time. On my computer its at 268kbps

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

@WalterLee wrote:

1. Around like 60 or 70 a month----Not cost. What speed do you pay for? 

2. Fastlane hardly did anyhting

3. My extender hasn't moved one bit before the situation ocured and I can't get any more optimal with connection with router vs device since the computer is too far----and it might not have been the device moving. it could have been something like furniture or something else in the path thats causing blocking. have you tried moving it elsewhere and connecting a different device to it? 

4. Says up to date----not helpful. what firmware number? 

5. Most speed tests say that my other computer for my brother is around 50 mbps with all the normal devices connecting wirelessly or wired to my router at the same time. On my computer its at 268kbps----50 mbps where? in the same location? different location? testing on what band? testing on what website? 

Message 4 of 12
WalterLee
Guide

1. 50mbps

2. No objects of any kind have moved or have been in the way. After testing the extender in my room, where my computer is experiencing 200kbps, my phone using my router got around 3.5mbps and when I used the extender my results were exactly the same. I tried the wifi in the same room as the router and my phone got 4mbps and again my extender got the exact same results when it was present in the same room as the router.

3. V1.0.0.78_1.0.51

4. When I was using my brother's computer it was connected directly to the router via ethernet and I made sure to have all of the devices that could be on stay on however it did not effect the speed. I tested a laptop in the same room as the router with the same conditions and got to 30mbps but it goes to 10 or so when I start moving away.

All of this testing has been done on speedtest.net and speed.com (Using the 2.4 band). Using 5ghz connection, the tests for all devices except my computer got midly better results 

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

try factory resetting the extender. set it up in the same room as the router (for testing) and see how it performs over hardwired, 2.4ghz, and 5ghz. 

its an easy way to determine if its a distance/interference issue

Message 6 of 12
WalterLee
Guide

My laptop doesnt have ethernet 😞

Message 7 of 12
WalterLee
Guide

I have just found something very wierd. My download speed using my laptop connecting to my wifi extender's 2.4ghz band got 12mbps in the room where my computer's download speed is 200kbps!!! I think that there is something very wrong with either my ethernet port or computer since this shouldn't be happening

Message 8 of 12
plemans
Guru

again, I'd try borrowing or using a different device to do the testing. you're last post that gets the appropriate speeds with a different device seems to indicate that. 

Message 9 of 12
WalterLee
Guide

Ok, so I found my old laptop that has an Ethernet port and go 50mbps with the wifi extender connected in the same room as my computer so I can confirm that it is my computer that is somehow limiting this ludicrous speed.

Message 10 of 12
WalterLee
Guide

do you know what to do im kinda lost after spending time looking for an answer

Message 11 of 12
WalterLee
Guide

Found the problem, In my router settings I saw that my speed was limited to 2mbps changed it back to what it was, it must've been my brother trying to keep his high speeds

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7