× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC750 Wifi Range Extender Firmware Update

sgold5
Aspirant

AC750 Wifi Range Extender Firmware Update

Called to get help with firmware update for my Range Extender.  It never really worked well from the begining.  I keep getting a privacy error message when I try to log into the extender web page. Instead I got a hard core sales pitch for 30 minutes on why I need to spend $150 for a technician to dig through my computer.  I have been a Netgear customer for many years.  Thanks for nothing. 

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: AC750 Wifi Range Extender Firmware Update

what number did you call? 

If you googled for a number, you got a scam site. 

To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days.

If you do decide, the support contracts aren't that price. They're through gearhead. 

You can see the price's here: https://gearhead.netgear.com/home.html

So I'm a bit doubtfull you talked to actual netgear support. 

And if you're not wanting to pay, there's always the community support forum here where members of the public help out. 

Message 2 of 5
sgold5
Aspirant

I did end up speaking to a gearhead.  It costs more for tech support than the cost of the device.  Found You Tube videos more helpful.  Sadly, it isn't about product support - it's about selling service. 

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

You're right at a certain point. It is about selling a service. Support is only free for 90 days. That allows people to get a device installed and up and running on their network. After that, they'll cover hardware failures. But consumer networking companies can't be a home users IT department for anytime someone wants to make a change. The cost of staffing that many people to do support for the life of a product would bankrupt a company. so they have to draw a line where they'll help and where it'll cost. Netgear drew it at 90 days. Long enough to iron out the bugs in peoples systems. 

Theres guides/manuals/youtube/ and even the community on here for further help. In my experience, the forum has tended to be more reliable and have better info than tier 1 support. But you have to give us the proper info to help. the less info we get, the less we can help. 

Message 4 of 5
Amdupont11
Aspirant

I had this happen today! I was trying to set up this extender and somehow got onto a chat and they asked if I wanted to talk to a tech. Gave them my number and they called from a new Mexico number. Well once I heard the word firewall security I knew something was up. I'm on a VPN that my brother set up so my IP shouldn't be visible at all. When they had access to my laptop they pulled up some random website and in Chinese. Luckily I was smart enough to type in my router access code myself and not give it to the guy. As soon as he said it cost 199.99 for 3 months I knew it was a scam and I called him on it. He got mad at me for calling it a scam. I said why would something I literally just purchased for less than 100 dollars require me to have to pay an additional fee for a firewall? He was all like well netgear doesn't produce the software just the extender we are trying to protect you. Thank God I don't have the extra money right now and have been dealing with scammera trying to get my dad for awhile now I smelled a rat. So he told me if I didn't trust him to hang up they couldn't help me but it wasn't a scammer. I had a feeling so I stayed on and muted my self. As I disconnected the screen access but kept the websites up so I could go thru and see their validity. I cannot believe this happens! Netgear needs to put out a statement or something saying they will never require additional software because some people are as with it and are too trusting. I ended up returning the extender and got a different brand and had no issues getting it going.
Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7