× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC750 compatibility with Arris G36 Wi-Fi Cable Modem

jhindenver
Aspirant

AC750 compatibility with Arris G36 Wi-Fi Cable Modem

Arris tech support says the AC750 or any wireless extender will supercede the wireless functions of the G36, i.e. we can use one or the other but not both.  I am not confident in this newbe's advice.  Anyone with experience connecting the AC750 to an Arris G36?

Message 1 of 7

@jhindenver wrote:

Arris tech support says the AC750 or any wireless extender will supercede the wireless functions of the G36, i.e. we can use one or the other but not both. 

Which AC750 do you have in  mind?

AC750 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You can usually put as many wifi sources a you like around the place, but you have to be careful to set them up in ways that don't interfere with each other. Then you have to think about the wifi clients that you have.

I don't know what you have in mind by "supersede". Rather than starting with a question about compatibility, you might do better to explain what you are trying to achieve. Faster wifi? Wider coverage (bigger area)?

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

supercede? no. 

but for devices connected to the AC750, they'll be functioning at the AC750 speeds and not the routers AX3000 capabilities. 

Basically the person you talked to was probably trying to explain that you're connecting a much slower/less capable extender to the router. And all the devices connected to the extender will run at that lower speed. It'll be the bottleneck.

The devices that connect directly to the router will connect at the routers connection speed and work fine. 

Message 3 of 7
jhindenver
Aspirant

In a previous installation of the EX3700 extender with a earlier Arris wifi modem/router, I was seeing greater mbps with the extender than without it.  The G36 wifi modem/router, at least on the initial setup, is testing out at a slower wifi speed than I had with the old setup, using the EX3700 and the earlier Arris model.

As of the present, I am assuming that the Arris Tech Support misinformed me about not being able to use the EX3700 simultaneously with the wifi functionality of the G36, i.e. she says the EX3700 supersedes the funtionality of the G36 wifi functionality.

Message 4 of 7
jhindenver
Aspirant

Thanks for your response.  I was using the word "supercede" (correct spelling is "supersede")to mean that, while I can use the Ex3700 with Arris,  the extender will supersede  (replace) the functionality of the G36 (as I was told by the Arris Tech Support person).  The question of compatibility remains. 

My purpose in using the Ex3700, as it was for an installation with a previous model of an Arris wifi/router modem, is to "achieve. Faster wifi? (with) Wider coverage (bigger area)".
Message 5 of 7
jhindenver
Aspirant

Thanks for your advice.  I am still convinced that the Arris Tech Support person was less experienced than me and gave me misinformation.  I was quite careful to ensure that I understood what she was saying.  It did not make sense to me that the Arris G36 modem/wifi router could not connect to my Netgear AC750 (EX3700) Extender at the same time I was using the wifi functions of the G36.  This was surprising as I had previously connected the extender to an earlier Arris wifi/router modem without having this issue.

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 6 of 7

@jhindenver wrote:
Thanks for your response.  I was using the word "supercede" (correct spelling is "supersede")to mean that, while I can use the Ex3700 with Arris,  the extender will supersede  (replace) the functionality of the G36 (as I was told by the Arris Tech Support person).  The question of compatibility remains. 

I thought it worth checking that you meant "replace" and not imply that it would render the thing inoperative when added to a network. That can happen.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7