× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AP won't allow new devices on 2.4ghz

DeeBeeEff
Aspirant

AP won't allow new devices on 2.4ghz

Hello,

Thought I would post this before I go through the drastic step of restoring my AP to factory settings. (I have done just about everything else.)

Lately I have been unable to add new devices to my 2.4ghz band of my AP. Also, occasoinally I am able to add one item and then it almost immediately gets dropped within the hour.

Devices like phones and ipads report the password is wrong.

Other devices, like my smart devices, just time out without being added.

I currently have 14 smart devices, a Ring doorbell, and my iPhone X connected to the 2.4ghz band. 

I looked at some posts on here that came close to the solution, but nothing seemed completely relevant to my situation. 

Any thoughts as to why this would happen? It is almost as though it's reaching a limit.

Thanks in advance for your help and ideas.

Model: EX6200|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @DeeBeeEff,

Welcome to the community!

1. What is the firmware version of the extender?

2. Do the already connected devices stay connected?

3. Does removing a connected device allow a new device to connect without issues?

4. Have you set a DHCP limit on your main wireless router?

5. Do new devices connect without any issues to the 5GHz?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 5
DeeBeeEff
Aspirant

Hey Dexter. Thanks for the reply.

1. What is the firmware version of the extender?   

• Firmware Version: V1.0.1.72

2. Do the already connected devices stay connected?

YES

3. Does removing a connected device allow a new device to connect without issues?

YES

4. Have you set a DHCP limit on your main wireless router?

Private Network DHCP Info
     Range: 192.168.1.64 – 192.168.1.253
     Allocated: 35 (18 of these are connected to the 2.4GHz band on the AP)
     Remaining: 155

5. Do new devices connect without any issues to the 5GHz?

YES

Message 3 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @DeeBeeEff,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 4 of 5
DeeBeeEff
Aspirant

Dexter,

After your last post, I did, indeed get in contact with Netgear, and after several back and forths they offered to exchange the router, which I declinerd. I have, since September, been working around the issue, but a couple of smart devices that I have added to my system have caused me to re-visit the issue. 
Since our discussions, I have not been able to add anything to the 2.4GHZ channel of my AP beyond the 18 connected to that channel. (There are 3 connected to the 5GHZ channel, which has no issues.) 

One of the things I have not been able to connect is my iPhoneX, which kept getting a pass word error.

Today I removed 4 of the items connected to the 2.4GHZ channel and I was able to connect my iPhone with no problem.

I had read something about a setting in my router (Pace 5268AC) that might be limiting the number of connections but don't know what to look for.

I was also wondering, shooting in the dark, if my AP IP address - 192.168.1.150 - could have some impact on the number of connections.
Anyway, I know this isn't a lot to go by, but I appreciate your time and any suggestions you might have.

Thanks,

Dave

Model: EX6200|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7