× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX12 Router with 2 Extenders - Confused

tkgregory
Aspirant

AX12 Router with 2 Extenders - Confused

I am switching from an Asus AIMesh setup to Netgear and am confused by what I am experiencing and reading regarding the use of 2 extenders. I have the AX12 near the center of my home and I have setup an EX8000 (6XS) at one when which is working great. For the opposite end of my home I am using an EX7500 (4XS) extender and it is dropping connections, shows connections with no IP address etc. I am not sure but I am wondering if it is connecting to the EX8000 not the AX12. I guess the first question is, Can I use two extenders?  If so, is there some specific setup required? I see references to "Daisy chains" but can't tell if this is good, bad etc....  TIA.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: AX12 Router with 2 Extenders - Confused

Hello tkgregory - This comment from one of our Superusers from a prior post provides great info: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/Can-you-use-2-wifi-extenders-at-the-...

~Christian 

Message 2 of 3
tkgregory
Aspirant

Re: AX12 Router with 2 Extenders - Confused

Thanks Christian. I believe you are refering this guidance:  

"Yes, you can use 2 extenders with a few caveats.

1. Do not wirelessly connect one extender to another.  Performance for the second extender will usually be unsatisfactory.  Therefore, each extender should connect to the main router.
  2. Both extenders should not broadcast the same SSID as the main router.  This is the default setting but many people often set up an extender to broadcast the same SSID to avoid programming devices with two separate SSIDs.  You won't be able to do this with two extenders because there is a risk of them connecting to each other instead of the main router.  This restriction doesn't apply if you are able to wire the extenders to the main router via Ethernet (or Powerline)."

If this is correct it is unfortunate that I cannot share the same SSID as I have all sorts of devices such as external cameras etc that are difficult to reset. In the same discssion you referenced there is a user comment about using multiple X6S Extenders (EX8000) and that with the "Fastlane" feature of these units you can have a single SSID. If this is an option I am willing to use two EX8000's.

Can anyone confirm?   

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7